Chamge in behaviour

Lizz-ie

Location (City and/or State)
Somerset
Hi, so. First year of having a little Hermann
I adopted her a couple of months ago with very bad eyes (trip to the vet and antibiotics cleared that up) but also very under weight - probably as she couldn't see. She's putting weight on slowly and now 130g she is 10cm long. Because of these things I'm not hibernating her.
To my point. Normally she up and charging around but the last few days all she does is sit under her heat lamp and doesn't really have much interest in food, unless I soak her some pellets or give her a little slice of tomato. Would this be because the weather has gotten colder or should I be more concerned? She normally LOVES to be outside so also wondered if she's less perky as she has to be in.

Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's likely all that you mentioned. She may be trying to get herself ready for hibernating by not eating and being less active. I would br sure the temp during the day is not lower then 80 and he sure the enclosure is bright like a nice sunny day at ground level. Also leave the light on long 12 hours. You need to keep her thinking it's not time to hibernate.

Lizz-ie

Somerset
It's likely all that you mentioned. She may be trying to get herself ready for hibernating by not eating and being less active. I would br sure the temp during the day is not lower then 80 and he sure the enclosure is bright like a nice sunny day at ground level. Also leave the light on long 12 hours. You need to keep her thinking it's not time to hibernate.
Hi and thanks. Yes I'm making sure it's at 32 under her heat lamp and have bought day light bulbs for the room her house is in. She's is having warm baths everyday for 20 mins.

If it is her urge to hibernate will it likely pass in a few weeks? I'm a bit worried if she doesn't want to eat she might, uhh, lose weight ?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Basking should be 95-100F. The over all temp 75-80. Night can drop to 60's.
Yes, she should get used to not hibernating and the longer lights.
Be sure to soak her every day to every other day to be sure she stays hydrated.