Changing the time i feed him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I want to change the time I feed my tort from the morning around 7:00 to about 6:00 in the afternoon. In the morning I have to leave by 7:30 for school and I want to have enough time to feed him and not feel rushed. I am not sure though if this would affect him or not. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's awful late. Most torts are in for the night sleeping by six. I would also think that going all day without food is not natural. They normally would be grazing all day. Can't you just get up earlier or have the food prepared the night before.
It only takes me five minutes of less to feed my one leopard. What are you doing that takes so much time to prepare?

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's not that I don't have enough time, it's that I have to eat, feed my turtles and tommy plus I like to play a game of COD before I leave. Sorry it wouldn't be seven it will be around 4 or 5

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mattgrizzlybear said:
It's not that I don't have enough time, it's that I have to eat, feed my turtles and tommy plus I like to play a game of COD before I leave. Sorry it wouldn't be seven it will be around 4 or 5

It would be 4 or 5 that you would have to wake up? I personally just don't think it is a good idea to feed them their first meal of the day at 6 at night. That's not a time they would normally would be looking to eat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They need to eat in the morning so they have all day to digest under their heat source. Feeding them at night at night and having the, sit still with a load of food in their gut is not a good idea in my opinion. Plus if their is no food available during their active period each day, they will likely start eating things they shouldn't like the substrate.

Better to adjust YOUR schedule. Just go to bed 10 minutes earlier and then wake up ten minutes earlier. I prepare my food in the evening and leave it in old spring mix tubs it he fridge. Takes me about 30 seconds to drop a handful of food onto the trays in a couple of enclosures.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Here's a suggestion.

Like Tom said, prepare the tort food in the evening, put it in the refrigerator. Then, while watching the tort and turtles eat, you can play a game of COD.

The water turtles will probably eat 24/7; if you let them; but the redfoot needs the heat light for digestion.

Good luck.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I'm glad you decided not to change. Making sure your tort stays happy and healthy is more important than playing a game of Call of Duty in the morning. I love video games too but there comes a point in life where they should be at the very bottom of your list of priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.