Chirping noises ??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlah_22

5 Year Member
When ever I pick her up she does a squeaking / chirping noise ? She seems healthy , no bubbles or anything . But every time she gets carries she does it .. Is she sick or is that normal ? Help please ..?

Debster

5 Year Member
I know *nothing* - I am a new Tort owner, but look at previous posts - I just read about another Russian who made chirping noises when happy. So, until someone much more knowledgable than me posts, read about 2 or 3 pages back... Good luck!!

Best,

Debster

1.2 humans
0.1 Tortoise

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Are you picking her up too often? Torts need time to adjust to new conditions.

When you do have to pick her up support her entire shell with your hand or a carry container. They don't like flying or being picked up by larger creatures.

Only pick her up for soaks or other necessities. Move slowly when you pick her up. Speed is scary to torts! :)

She could be vocalizing her fear or warning that "I'm going to poop on you"!

Good luck!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortoises often exhale when disturbed. This serves not only to startle a potential predator, but also to make room under the shell for the head and limbs. In bigger tortoises, the sound is often hiss-like, while in bigger ones it's higher-pitched and cuter. :)

melly_87

5 Year Member
My Russian Tortoise makes some noises, too, but I can't say that they sound like chirps. They're more like him snorting or just blowing air out of his nose. He did this a few times and I'm not sure if it's normal or if he's getting sick. I'm a very new tort owner; I adopted him just a few days ago, so any advice would be very helpful!

Mrturtle527

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Ha mine do this sometimes and I agree it's when they are startled. My new hatchling does it more often then my 5 year old but it's cute coming from both :). We call it the torthiss - hehehehe

Check us out on Facebook
www.facebook.com/mrturtle527

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.