Cirby's shell

upload_2015-7-4_10-10-3.pngupload_2015-7-4_10-10-24.pngupload_2015-7-4_10-10-43.png

What do you think about my 7 year old sulcata Cirby's wound. I was told by the vet it was from moisture. First photo was end of May. Then last week and last is yesterday. I haven't seen signs of drainage. It isn't as hard as the rest of her but it's not smooshy either. vet had her on antibiotic shots for 2 weeks. Doing soaks, hydrogen peroxide and silvadine now. Is this shell rot or just an abrasion? I started to use a soft tooth brush to help get the old silvadine off and I see the dark outer perimeter is gone. I am assuming its a good sign. What do you think? Should I do something else.
How long will it take to heal?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hi Kristen and Cirby, beyond my knowledge to comment, but giving the post a bump so someone else might have a look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Because of where it is, my first thought was urine burn. It really doesn't look like shell rot, but it wouldn't hurt to apply some athlete foot cream daily for a while. I'm assuming the tortoise is outside? What substrate is on the floor of the hiding place? Is the tortoise on cement?

She has grass and dirt outside. Inside her house one corner is a heat pad that I turned off when we found the lesion. One corner is coconut coir ( bed a beast) I put in a few weeks ago for humidity. The other two corners are painted wood. She tends to hang out there during our hot Sacramento summers but enjoys the heat pad all winter and probably had something to do with it.
I have someone building a new house using Tom's specs.

I'm a nurse and do extensive would care all week. I'm trying to use my instincts but we don't have a beautiful shell and I want to do it right. Thanks for your reply.
I'm going to continue talking photos

It looks like she is stuffing old layers of shell. I hope that's cool