Cleaning poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa FL
I keep my redfoots outside but in the winter they spend sometime indoors. It does not take long for them to stink up the place. What do you guys do that live up north?

I keep them in a large plastic bin with a newspaper substrate. Is there a better substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Newspaper is not a proper substrate for any tortoise unless it is a sick one, then paper is sometimes useful. Like any animal, you have to clean up after them. That is part of the responsibility of animal ownership. Sorry, if this sounds a little harsh, I don't mean it to be. Change your substrate and what poop you can find, clean it up.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Hmmm, I live in Canada but Walter is outside most days. He lives in coco coir and I have never had problems with his poop smelling, would your tortoises poop be smelling more strongly after they've just eaten protein foods?

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
BowandWalter said:
Hmmm, I live in Canada but Walter is outside most days. He lives in coco coir and I have never had problems with his poop smelling, would your tortoises poop be smelling more strongly after they've just eaten protein foods?

I don't really offer protein. When I bring them in I do clean them every day but it's like they poop as soon as you put them in and they poop again right after you clean it. How much coco coir do you use? Wouldn't it take a ton? I never really put much thought into substrate in the past since there usually only in there over night for a couple months. This year I wanted to try some different things though. You think cypress mulch would work ok?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, whether you want it or not:p:D coconut coir is the best. Holds humidity the best, won't mold and you can even plant seeds in it. :D

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
voodoochild said:
I don't really offer protein. When I bring them in I do clean them every day but it's like they poop as soon as you put them in and they poop again right after you clean it. How much coco coir do you use? Wouldn't it take a ton? I never really put much thought into substrate in the past since there usually only in there over night for a couple months. This year I wanted to try some different things though. You think cypress mulch would work ok?

I imagine cypress would work, I have 3-4 inches of coco coir. It took 4 blocks of dried coco coir to get it that deep. I just have one small guy so if you have two and a big inside cage it would take more. Walter also isn't a red foot, maybe different tortoises smell stronger?

wellington said:
In my opinion, whether you want it or not:p:D coconut coir is the best. Holds humidity the best, won't mold and you can even plant seeds in it. :D

I can't stop seeds from growing in mine! I don't even plant them...

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
BowandWalter said:
voodoochild said:

I imagine cypress would work, I have 3-4 inches of coco coir. It took 4 blocks of dried coco coir to get it that deep. I just have one small guy so if you have two and a big inside cage it would take more. Walter also isn't a red foot, maybe different tortoises smell stronger?

wellington said:
In my opinion, whether you want it or not:p:D coconut coir is the best. Holds humidity the best, won't mold and you can even plant seeds in it.
:D

It's pry the size difference too. Two adult redfoots out grazing all day and stuffing themselves with cactus and papaya poop a lot. Having a better substrate pry helps. Thanks!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
BowandWalter said:
voodoochild said:

wellington said:

Here too, seeds grow nonstop...I aint planted anything
COIR IS THE WAY FORWARD! :p

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
You may want to consider offering protein once a week....red foot tortoises require it!
Check out the threads on red foot diet and care.
Good luck :)

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Irwin4530 said:
You may want to consider offering protein once a week....red foot tortoises require it!
Check out the threads on red foot diet and care.
Good luck :)

From what I've read they need 5% protein, right? I figure they could get that from being outside if they wanted to. Maybe not? When Ive offered it in the past they did not seem interested. I will look at the threads though. Thanks!

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
voodoochild said:
From what I've read they need 5% protein, right? I figure they could get that from being outside if they wanted to. Maybe not? When Ive offered it in the past they did not seem interested. I will look at the threads though. Thanks!

I offer cooked chicken breast and my red foot LOVES it! I give him some about every three weeks.

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
Watsonpartyof4 said:
voodoochild said:

I offer cooked chicken breast and my red foot LOVES it! I give him some about every three weeks.

I noticed some people doing this when I searched the threads. I have never tried chicken. I'll give that a shot. thanks!

wellington said:

when you say plant seeds do you mean while its still in the enclosure so the torts can eat the shoots? Or do you mean you use the old bedding as compost?

Status
Not open for further replies.