Clifton's shell - is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson

5 Year Member
View attachment 57805View attachment 57805 Here is a picture of Clifton's growth lines. I'm worried that he may be pyramiding or he's getting to much food or something?

They seam to be raised in the middle and thick...idk?

This is my first tort. He eats a variety of good foods, plenty of humidity, outdoors a lot, plenty of soaks and sprays.

I always give him a pile of food and let him eat all he can. He's usually done in 15 to 20 minutes, then he walks away and I dump what's left.

He eats a lot of romaine/hibiscus/dandelion/spring mix ( 3days a week)
Then squash with small amount of other vegetables (2 days a week)
Then fruits , strawberries/mango/papaya/grapes/berries/kiwi/ some banana/some tomato (2 days a week)

Many other things/he eats it all.

He nibbles on weeds outside and gets a small amount of boiled egg or boiled chicken at least twice a month. I usually sprinkle calcium powder on his fruit.

He's very active and otherwise healthy, but I'm not sure if this is right?

Please comment with your thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I'm no expert by any means, but I don't think that looks bad. It's kind of too close up to tell. I think you have to take a side shot of your tort for the experts on here to really be able to tell.

My guess is you are more concerned with the outside line of each scute, the black part, right? My leopard tort's scutes look very similar. Now that he is growing, they are finally starting to level out instead of looking somewhat "sunk".

Jackson

5 Year Member
Yes, the black lines (in between the shutes) they are slightly raised and thick.
I'll post a side view when I get home tonight.

Thanks

abclements

5 Year Member
It looks to me like he is pyramiding a little bit. The black "line" is just shell growth and will keep expanding till he stops growing. How are you measuring your humidity?

Jackson

5 Year Member
abclements said:
It looks to me like he is pyramiding a little bit. The black "line" is just shell growth and will keep expanding till he stops growing. How are you measuring your humidity?

With those cheep zoo med analogs. Hard to keep humidity up in his present habitat.

The new habitat is almost done, it's enclosed and hold humidity so much better.

70- 80 is tough in current set up.

Over 90 will be easy soon

abclements

5 Year Member
Ok. I'm willing to bet it's a humidity problem.

mikeh

5 Year Member
The raised area appears to be at the new growth, not the old growth. This is not pyramiding.
Pyramiding occurs when new growth comes in low and pushes older growth upward.
In your case it looks like what some refer to as reversed pyramiding. As the new growth comes in, the older growth behind it will lay down flat. It is said to be indication of proper hydration. Your torts shell looks good.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with mikeh. I used to think this was a sign of pyramiding, overtime the new growth will expand and smoothen out.

Jackson

5 Year Member
abclements said:

Clifton lives in fog...the substrate gets so wet I take it out and dry it in the sun.
I'm also paranoid of shell rot.

I know those humidity gauges suck, so I over do it a bit.

I hose him and his area down outside constantly. I spray his shell several times a day and soak him till he poops.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This is NOT pyramiding, nor is it reverse pyramiding.

New growth swells a bit from the hydration and then flattens out.

This is a great sign that your tortoise is growing naturally, wonderfully and smoothly :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Heather, my point exact. Here's an example of how new growth appears before it starts to expand and smoothen out.

wihe.jpg

r1fp.jpg

Team Gomberg said:

This is a great sign that your tortoise is growing naturally, wonderfully and smoothly :)

Sent from my TFOapp

Jackson

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:

Sent from my TFOapp

I hope you're right. We like him and try our best to follow care sheets and forum advice. I understand that proper growth is important, especially at a young age.

I have many wandering gulf coast turtles in my yard. Ever since I got Clifton its like they are drawn to him. I don't know what the deal is? There's one outside right now.

Anyhow, I look at the shells and wonder if I can ever provide Clifton with the natural factors involved with such perfect growth?

Nature is a much better provider. Sometimes I think about releasing him into the wild.....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.