Climbing

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi all.
Tabby this year has been very active after coming out of hibernation. She has free roam in the garden, but the past week she has been trying to climb the back gate and gets wedged between the gate post and the fence post. We are putting a flat piece of wood over the posts, but this is new behavior for her. I know she likes to climb and want to get/build her some structures for her to climb. Everything I have searched for online are for smaller tortoises and not suitable for her. I am also renting the house so cant really make mounds etc in the grass. She is a spur-thighed med. Any suggestions as to what I can make for her to climb?

Seb

Cheshire
Try looking at flower pots and garden ornaments that can be sunk into the ground a little for stability. Our tort is the same - loves climbing! We split a large flower pot in half for him (which also doubles as a hide). Also I've had an ornamental turtle for ages, we put it in his enclosure when we first got him just so he had something to explore. It's now his turtle because it's his favourite thing to climb and slide off! Sometimes things you wouldn't ever think of are the BEST tortoise toys - so think like a tortoise haha!

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Try looking at flower pots and garden ornaments that can be sunk into the ground a little for stability. Our tort is the same - loves climbing! We split a large flower pot in half for him (which also doubles as a hide). Also I've had an ornamental turtle for ages, we put it in his enclosure when we first got him just so he had something to explore. It's now his turtle because it's his favourite thing to climb and slide off! Sometimes things you wouldn't ever think of are the BEST tortoise toys - so think like a tortoise haha!
No matter how much I try to tortoise proof the garden, she always finds things to get stuck in lol. I had a large plastic flower pot but she didn't like it, will try a ceramic one and dig it in the soil. I have a concrete tortoise, but thought she might think it real and head butt it, but will put it out and see how it goes. She has large stones to climb over which she sometimes plays see-saw on as she is old and her muscles in her back legs are getting weaker. Was thinking of one of those large plastic tubes they use for underground water supply.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Sometimes it's nice to go look at the Clearance section for broken flower planters! Every once in a while ( more often than we want to have to admit....) you bend over to look at something in the nursery section and hit a clay planter right with the butt.... I'll sometimes score a broken one that's already been perfectly broken in half , so I dont have to gamble on my personal skills there!
I'm sure that stores try to remove those asap from view, but u never know.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Ugh.....that phrasing sounded bad.....
I was in the toy section once, when a group of kids started hurling toys at the floor to break them !!!! Then they yelled at their mother that they had the toys that they wanted !!! She was right their watching!

Tabby0318

5 Year Member
England
Sometimes it's nice to go look at the Clearance section for broken flower planters! Every once in a while ( more often than we want to have to admit....) you bend over to look at something in the nursery section and hit a clay planter right with the butt.... I'll sometimes score a broken one that's already been perfectly broken in half , so I dont have to gamble on my personal skills there!
I'm sure that stores try to remove those asap from view, but u never know.
Thank you. A I did contact world of pots yesterday as they sell the really large pots and they said the have loads of broken ones, but I need to go to their shop to collect. Will definetly be going there after lockdown.