Coco coir, any point in changing?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Ok.
Sorry to bother you AGAIN with another thread but I wanted to know if there is any point changing substrates.

At the moment I use peat. Purely because that's what the breeder was using and it's really cheap and easy to get hold of.

On here, it seams that everyone swears by coco choir. Are there any benefits of changing it?

Also I'm covering half my enclosure with plexi glass and if the coco choir does have any benefits, can I just put it in the bit where he sleeps and basks? Or should I just completely change it? Or just leave it how it is?

Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Moss can mold. Coconut coir won't. Some torts will eat the peat moss? and can have problems expelling it when pooping if it's stringy and I was told a long time ago, it could get wrapped inside the tort? I only use coconut cour, but that's my preference. If the peat moss (I'm assuming your talking peat moss?) works for you then you may want to stick with it, until it doesn't work for you or until it needs changing.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Moss can mold. Coconut coir won't. Some torts will eat the peat moss? and can have problems expelling it when pooping if it's stringy and I was told a long time ago, it could get wrapped inside the tort? I only use coconut cour, but that's my preference. If the peat moss (I'm assuming your talking peat moss?) works for you then you may want to stick with it, until it doesn't work for you or until it needs changing.
OkAy thanks :)