Coco Coir

WallieWay

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I was wondering if anyone has some tips on keeping coco coir moist? I think my Russia's habitat is consistently too dry.

I mist multiple times a day but it doesn't seem to work well :( I've also tried dumping water into it but it just pools at the bottom and doesn't help the top half!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated :)

WallieWay

PA
I have a screen top, and I try to mist enough to keep it around 70%...I believe what is mostly keeping the humidity is his moss he loves to sleep in.

WallieWay

PA
Just realized my kindle auto corrected russian to Russia...oops

turdle yerdle

IL
So maybe should cut back on the misting then?
I have an open top enclosure and I use the water bowl for humidity. In the morning it's at 57% then it gets lower and lower, no need to spray. The water in the water bowl turns into humidity. Don't use ceramic heat emmiters it will dry out the enclosure.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How old is your Russian? 60 to 70 percent is what is recommended, I believe. I pour the water over the substrate. Your substrate should be 6-8 inches deep. Depending on your tortoises age and the overnight temp in your enclosure, you may or may not need a CHE for heat.

turdle yerdle

IL
How old is your Russian? 60 to 70 percent is what is recommended, I believe. I pour the water over the substrate. Your substrate should be 6-8 inches deep. Depending on your tortoises age and the overnight temp in your enclosure, you may or may not need a CHE for heat.
My russian tort does fine arund 40% and 50%. It is just my preference and my tortoises.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
When you pour the warm water in mix up the coir until all the coir is moist. I have my coir around 4-5 inches deep.

WallieWay

PA

Honestly, I'm not sure of his age and nobody can really give me an estimate. i purchased him from a pet store. I do have the substrate about 7-8 inches deep, and night temp is about 78

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If you increase your humidity, don't forget to increase the temps a bit too.