Coco coir question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortx2

5 Year Member
I got a large brick of coco coir but it doesn't say how much water to use. How much water do you use per pound of dry coco coir?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
LOL! It's not a recipe. You don't have to follow directions exactly!

Just get a 5 gallon bucket, put your brick in the bucket and submerge it in water. You're going to pour off the water once the brick has absorbed, so it doesn't matter how much water you use.

lokenica

5 Year Member
Yep, Yvonne's correct....I just got some today...I added 4 quarts and rang it out as I put it in the enclosure.....bring a towel....it's a mess!

Tortx2

5 Year Member
Thanks. I'm new to all this. Just don't want to mess it all up. I'm probably going to wait to use it until my new enclosure is built, but I want to be prepared.

zman7590

5 Year Member
Easier to buy the bags not compressed stuff. It costs the same and makes same amount.... No brainer lol

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
zman7590 said:
Easier to buy the bags not compressed stuff. It costs the same and makes same amount.... No brainer lol

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

You are either getting the greatest bargain on the bags of loose coir or paying way too much for the compressed bricks.

Using numbers online, the compressed bricks are less than half the cost of a bag of loose material for a comparable amount of coir. I have a feeling that although the exact numbers will differ in physical stores, compressed bricks will (and should, based on logistics) be cheaper.

Tech13

5 Year Member
I bought a LARGE brick online for $20 or $21 with shipping and used a drywall hand saw to cut it into 4 pieces- each one the same approximate size as a 3 pack of those bricks you buy in the pet stores for about $8. I hydrate each one in a 7.1 gallon flexible tub ( found for a little over $3 at Wal-Mart in the gardening section) with 1 1/2 gallons of water. Like the others said, you pour /squeeze out excess water.

This is the kind i used, and it works well for me: http://www.naturesfootprint.com/coconut-coir-bricks

I saw another thread that had a different brand you can buy in hydroponics stores cheaper, but it looks like it may contain bigger pieces (chips) in it when I read the description (though I never bought that brand)

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I found the best way to rehydrate the bricks is to have a bucket solely for that use, and drill small holes in the bottom. The water drains and then you don't have to worry about trying to drain it. Sometimes have to add a little water though

Tortx2

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will get a big bucket and give it a try. How much floor coverage am I likely to get from the really big brick?

Tech13

5 Year Member
The website says the 5 kg brick once hydrated covers a 3' x 3' area about 2.5" deep. The packaging says (with 5 gallons of water added to brick) it yields 2.2-2.5 cubic feet, remember that it expands 5 to 7 times in volume when you choose your tub (that is why I cut mine into 4 pieces) and to soak it for about an hour (or more) before using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.