New Substrate

Coconugget

I'm planning on getting coconut coir as I heard it's a pretty good substrate. However, I am still uncertain on how the bricks work and/or I should not get it in brick form. And is coco coir and fiber the same? I would appreciate opinions on coco coir and links to good quality coco coir products. Thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I'm planning on getting coconut coir as I heard it's a pretty good substrate. However, I am still uncertain on how the bricks work and/or I should not get it in brick form. And is coco coir and fiber the same? I would appreciate opinions on coco coir and links to good quality coco coir products. Thank you!
I use exclusively coco coir and think it's great.
The brick will come with instructions on how long to soak it and in how much water.
It produces a lot of coir as it expands in the water and you stir it around.
Coir and fibre are the same, I believe.
i have used Exo Terra and another make whose name I've forgotten and they were identical as far as I could tell.They're probably all pretty much the same.
It's just coconut husk fibres which you can buy compressed into a brick or loose.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Also when it's all ready, try to get a depth of about 4" to 6" or so that your tortoise can burrow into it.
Press it down quite firmly to help prevent mess or consumption of the strands.
And don't forget to keep moistening it, it should be damp but not wet, pour water into it directly and just mix in with your hands.