Coconut Fiber substrate

toritot55!

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello everyone!
I have recently obtained a 7 year old Herman’s tortoise. At first I had his substrate to be reptile bark and now I have loose coconut fiber substrate. What is the best type of substrate for a Herman’s tortoise. And do you need to moisten the soil??? I notice he kind of looks like he is sinking into his substrate and looks messy. Is that normal? Am I just thinking too much into this??? Thank you :)

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I prefer to use any of the three, coconut husk chunks (not the fiber-y muddy mess the coir makes), orchid bark (which is bark used to grow orchids from fir bark) and cypress mulch.

toritot55!

Chicago
I bought the fiber dUsty stuff and it looks like he’s getting attacked by it

turtlebean

Connecticut
I have the coco substrate and it’s mixed probably like 80 coco, 20 cyprus mulch. I keep mine from getting dusty by keeping it moist. About once a week I add a couple gallons of warm water to my whole enclosure and mix it up till all the substrate is just moist enough and my tort hasn’t had any issues yet! Maybe try something like that, I hope that helps!

-Julia Rosario

toritot55!

Chicago
I have the coco substrate and it’s mixed probably like 80 coco, 20 cyprus mulch. I keep mine from getting dusty by keeping it moist. About once a week I add a couple gallons of warm water to my whole enclosure and mix it up till all the substrate is just moist enough and my tort hasn’t had any issues yet! Maybe try something like that, I hope that helps!

-Julia Rosario

So I would make all of the fiber “moist” but basically like wet soil would feel after a rain shower? If so, doesn’t the enclosure get infested with gnats? I live in Chicago so he is housed indoors right now.

turtlebean

Connecticut
So I would make all of the fiber “moist” but basically like wet soil would feel after a rain shower? If so, doesn’t the enclosure get infested with gnats? I live in Chicago so he is housed indoors right now.

I keep mine just damp enough so it’ll stick to my finger if I press on it but not wet enough that water will pour through if I ring the soil out. I also have an indoor enclosure and I have personally never had a problem with gnats. I don’t know much about that to be honest!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!
I have recently obtained a 7 year old Herman’s tortoise. At first I had his substrate to be reptile bark and now I have loose coconut fiber substrate. What is the best type of substrate for a Herman’s tortoise. And do you need to moisten the soil??? I notice he kind of looks like he is sinking into his substrate and looks messy. Is that normal? Am I just thinking too much into this??? Thank you :)
The fine grade orchid bark works best. You need about a 3-4 inch layer and it should be kept damp.

If you want to use the coir, you can. but it needs to also be kept damp and hand packed down to reduce the mess. Personally, I don't use it because its too messy for adults.