Cold weather aldabras

hmmca

Hello,

I am about to be the proud keeper of two young aldabras! More details to come on them. I did want to ask any keepers of large tortoise in cold climates what they feed in the winter while they are inside? I know grass will make up a large part of the diet during the outside months but what to feed during the winter. Also would love any advice on inside living as well.

Thanks

ben awes

5 Year Member
Congrats! I know you'll get a little flack for living in a northern climate, and i can't tell you if it's a good idea or not because either there are not many folks who are doing it or they are not speaking up much, but I'm trying to do it and I will report back how things are going. Being really committed to provide good care also won't make everyone happy, but if I am totally honest I figure it's as good a starting place as any for pet. I know that I had a Blue and Gold Macaw before I had tortoises and it was generally accepted as OK to keep such a highly intelligent animal in a 3' x 3' x 6' cage. Now that you've jumped in with TWO feet, you'll get great feedback on this site because everyone wants you to succeed and for the animals to thrive.

Others will have to speak up about what they recommend for indoor care, but I am doing a primary diet of Orchard Grass from Oxbow in the 50lb bales, with the new Mazuri as a supplement. I also supplement with fresh weekly; cactus, kale, mustard greens, pumpkin, and a variety of other things. The more square feet the better of course!

One of the biggest challenges is keeping the humidity up. I have two humidifiers going inside a 2'x4' area running 24/7 and the best I can do at this point is 50 - 60%. I think I am going to drop a bunch of cash on a good patio misting system that can expand across the whole area and even outside as needed. I tried a $100 reptile one from Big Apple Herp and it was crap, worked for two days and then the nozzles stopped misting and just shot a little streams of water.

The best of luck and keep up informed!

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I live in NY and I am debating purchasing an Aldabra. I have the yard and house space but my worry is insulating the garage for the tortoise. Please let me know what you guys think. I just want to mention this is also my fathers account and I may be going to school in Hawaii in a few years. If things don't work out for the tortoise in New York I could always bring the tortoise with me :)

M

Maggie Cummings

It's hard to get a tortoise into or out of Hawaii. I live in Oregon and keep Sulcata and a couple other desert type tortoises. I feed some grocery store greens saved for me by the produce manager. But my main food in the winter is hay from the feed store. Mostly locally grown grass hay. My Sulcata and a Hermanni live in an insulated, heated shed and I run a humidifier all day, not at night. Their shed stays a consistent 85 degrees, with basking lights, pig blankets and an oil filled radiator...but that's not cheap in the winter when it freezes and snows.
Use that insulation that is Styrofoam sheets, then cover with plywood. I used the pink fluffy stuff and the spiders and other bugs make nests in it and drop the stuff on the floor for Bob to eat...not good

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think we have any members keeping larger Aldabras in the colder climates. I keep two leopards and a Russian in Chicago. They lived outside in a heated, very well insulated shed for the first time last winter. It's not cheap and for two Aldabras, when they get big, 4-5 years old or so, you will need a very large enclosure or a walkout basement. I feel it can be done, as long as you have the means $$$ to do it. Good luck and don't forget pics when you get them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I don't think we have any members keeping larger Aldabras in the colder climates. I keep two leopards and a Russian in Chicago. They lived outside in a heated, very well insulated shed for the first time last winter. It's not cheap and for two Aldabras, when they get big, 4-5 years old or so, you will need a very large enclosure or a walkout basement. I feel it can be done, as long as you have the means $$$ to do it. Good luck and don't forget pics when you get them.

* I know many that keep aldabra's in cold climates, however it seems way more challenging than warming climates for sure. We have no experience with colder climates, one of the biggest challenges from feed back that i have received over the years is maintaining high humidity levels.

max strate

I live in southern Indiana and don't know all the details of exactly how but I am determined that I will have an Aldabra. And I will do whatever has to be done to keep up with his needs. I live on about two and a half acres and am willing to build an outbuilding for it.any input from anybody in my area would be greatly appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My 15 year old Aldabran tortoises live outside year round. They have an insulated, heated shed with vinyl strips on the doorway, so they come and go as they wish. During the winter, when it's overcast or foggy, even with frost on the ground, they still come out and graze on whatever happens to be growing in their yard. I supplement with orchard grass or Bermuda hay, Mazuri Tortoise Diet and grocery store greens.

max strate

Thanks for your suggestions. When you say smile strips are you meaning something like day xxl pet door lol.where I live it is 30 degrees now and snowing and supposed to get down to 5 degrees tonight.not sure mine would want to go outside now. I don't even want to go outside now. I know in my location there will be extra requirements but I don't have a problem with that