Colombian hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
I hope I am not becoming a pest with all the photos but since JustAnja started it, you can blame her.
I've noticed that recently there have been numerous ads for Colombian redfoots and some of the ads have mentioned the golden colors or 'rare' all yellow phase. I have to laugh as there was a time when almost ALL of the imported redfoots (in this country) were from Colombia. Whats funny is that many of the redfoots from the 60s and 70s had no red scutes on them at all. My breeding group from when I was in high school (1970s) except for one male and one female, were all solid yellow.
The one pair had pumpkin orange mixed in with the yellow colors and they were really beautiful.
So I decided to dig up some photos that I took a few years ago when my friend Ted Tuchak, who was my breeding partner back then, brought over a Colombian hatchling from the one pair he still had that he got in 1968.

DSC00043.jpg

This hatchling is absolutely typical of many Colombian redfoots that we produced with various shades of yellow on the head. Occasionally, one would have white or even GREEN scutes mixed in with the yellow colors.

The plastron of these hatchlings are quite pale compared to cherryheads...
Colombianhatchlingplastron.jpg

I love the various yellows that these guys have and in addition some have extremely nice yellow blotches on the carapace.
DSC00051.jpg

Of course, not all of them were just yellow like this one. Like I said, some had orange and even red mixed in with the yellow. But unlike the imported Suriname or Guyana redfoots that have basically one color of yellow on their head (with red legs), the Colombian animals could have several different colors mixed together on both head and legs.
I'm not making this up either...at one time I had a small imported female that had yellow colors on one front leg, and orange on the other!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
cdmay said:
I hope I am not becoming a pest with all the photos but since JustAnja started it, you can blame her.

That could never happen! You know how we all LOVE pictures.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
cdmay said:

OK, first I want to say THANKS to Just Anja for starting all this since you said we would blame her :p
Carl, we love your posts Please feel free to Post, Post, Post photos or info or comment whatever, seems we can never get enough. :D
that is one sweet RF Do you still have that one?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks.
Robyn, no I didn't keep that hatchling.
I gave it away to somebody but I really don't even remember who it was now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love the way the little dots on the legs are so clean and clear, regardless of what color they are. This little baby has a couple of dots that are black. And the yellow dots look like little rubber erasers! Just beautiful.

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
LOL Carl :) These crazy tort people go batty for pics! Post all the tort pics your heart desires and I assure you, none of us will ever complain a bit. You will have to let me know when you have hatchlings available so I can see if I can make myself raise some torts up from hatchlings. (Im very impatient! I have a hard time raising my snakes, geckos or torts up from hatchlings lol)

Thanks for posting pics of that little stunner!

Status
Not open for further replies.