Come on out. Natural Brumation, no heaters, nothing.

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
"Servant, is it warm?!"
Nice day. And warm all week. One of the Russian torts decided to take advantage of the sun today. It's still going to get into the 30's and 40's at night for the next few weeks so I'll have to make sure they're in their box. It's incredible how resilient these animals are. Tip, I think it's him, unearthed himself as he felt the temperatures rise. They dig below that frost line to keep warm over winter. A lot of people worry about natural brumation, and want to hold their torts hands, but if you provide the right environment and take the proper steps, they can get through it no problem. We got into the teens, below freezing, freezing rain, and snow and this guy came out on top. Looking forward to this spring, I'm building more enclosures and working on expansions as we speak.

Attachments

• 20220301_132324.jpg
    20220301_132324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220301_134101.jpg
    20220301_134101.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
A lot of people worry about natural brumation, and want to hold their torts hands, but if you provide the right environment and take the proper steps, they can get through it no problem. We got into the teens, below freezing, freezing rain, and snow and this guy came out on top.
Every one says this, until the day they realize they are wrong and have a dead tortoise in their hands. What you are doing is gambling. With THEIR lives. You will eventually lose that gamble, as many before you have already.

Also, testing the limits of survival doesn't seem like a good plan when compared to how easy it is to provide them with optimal conditions that will protect them and help them to survive and thrive.