Commercially Raised Flowers

W Shaw

I was thinking about talking to a local florist about buying roses that can't be used -- getting a little wilted, stems broken off or whatever -- to feed the petals to my Russian. Anyone know whether this would be safe, as far as chemicals that may have been used in growing them or keeping them fresh for the florist?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I wouldn't use flowers from a florist at all. I think it's very likely that pesticides were used while they were growing.

W Shaw

That's what I was thinking too, but then I thought... pesticides are used on most of the fruit and vegetables we eat, unless we can afford to buy all organic, but the fruit is safe after we wash it. I don't want to take any chances though!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's what I was thinking too, but then I thought... pesticides are used on most of the fruit and vegetables we eat, unless we can afford to buy all organic, but the fruit is safe after we wash it. I don't want to take any chances though!

It's very different than fruit and veggies though. Those pesticides are approved for human consumption - and also their sprays are timed such that levels are lowest for harvest. There are no such restrictions on flowers for show, unless they are culinary flowers (much more expensive). The sprays used on florist flowers are not safe to eat, as they were not chosen to be so. Do not feed.

W Shaw

Thanks! I definitely won't, then! But now that I know there are culinary flowers, I'll look into finding a source.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I buy culinary flowers for mine when we have nothing good to eat in bloom. They're not very economical though, so I wouldn't do it all year round.

AnimalLady

I think you can find them at Wholefood places in the US. Thats what i'm assuming anyways.

AnimalLady

Oh, I also wanted to ask.. why not just grow your own flowers? Its fun and rewarding and awesome SAFE tort food!

W Shaw

Oh, I also wanted to ask.. why not just grow your own flowers? Its fun and rewarding and awesome SAFE tort food!
I don't have a yard to grow them in and in my tiny dark apartment they wouldn't thrive. It also takes time and attention which I can't spare. I work full time, and also do snake rescue work and assist a herpetologist with research and and educational presentations, on top of chimp research, and being in the middle of a book collaboration (research related). What little time I have left over goes to my two critter kids. So.... just can't really spare the time or energy, even if I had a place to grow them.

Prairie Mom

I don't have a yard to grow them in and in my tiny dark apartment they wouldn't thrive. It also takes time and attention which I can't spare. I work full time, and also do snake rescue work and assist a herpetologist with research and and educational presentations, on top of chimp research, and being in the middle of a book collaboration (research related). What little time I have left over goes to my two critter kids. So.... just can't really spare the time or energy, even if I had a place to grow them.
I grow tons of stuff indoors and I always have my hands full. If you ever want to experiment with a grow light and need some help, feel free to get in touch. Once you're set up, there's nothing to it. If you can give a snake fresh water, you can water a plant.:) Good luck with everything you're doing!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Are you on FB? Send out a little post to your friends and family asking for the opportunity to collect extra rose petals from their "pesticide free" yard. I bet you'll discover people in your circle have great tortoise food and you didn't even know it!

Seriously though....I've had great hook ups through friends over the years. Plenty of people have untended to rose bushes or dandelion filled yards and will view your free labor as though they are getting the sweet end of the deal ;) but really we know it'll be you

W Shaw

I grow tons of stuff indoors and I always have my hands full. If you ever want to experiment with a grow light and need some help, feel free to get in touch. Once you're set up, there's nothing to it. If you can give a snake fresh water, you can water a plant.:) Good luck with everything you're doing!

Thanks!!

W Shaw

Are you on FB? Send out a little post to your friends and family asking for the opportunity to collect extra rose petals from their "pesticide free" yard. I bet you'll discover people in your circle have great tortoise food and you didn't even know it!

Seriously though....I've had great hook ups through friends over the years. Plenty of people have untended to rose bushes or dandelion filled yards and will view your free labor as though they are getting the sweet end of the deal ;) but really we know it'll be you

Yeah, in the summer, we'll be grand. I got him just before it got cold, but in the summer he can graze at the arboretum. and I'll be able to forage for him as well. Just trying to vary his diet for the winter. I'm trying to get him to eat Mazuri but he doesn't like it. Tolerates a tiny bit smeared on radicchio.