Concerned about my RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi everyone :) I'm worried about Alan. I soak him daily and ensure his viv is humid etc but today and yesterday when I've come to soak him he's been noticeably dry on his front legs and top of his head. His shell at the front also looks dry. As soon as I soak him he drinks the water and seems happy. Should I be worried? Before I soaked him he did seem a little dozy? Yesterday I brought him out from under his hide and today he was drier but he was in the corner next to the heat lamp dug in. Any advise would be grateful :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My best guess would be your humidity is too low. Your gage may not be working right.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Hmmm I did question this a while back but someone said both gages might not be working and if the glass in the viv is full of condensation it's likely to be 80% ?? I've got a round gage and an electronic one....both say different things!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Condensation on the glass WAS humidity. Now that it is on the glass and not in the air, the humidity will be lower than it appears.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Right, stop over obsessing, they can dry out-in fact in the wild they would dry out in the morning and then the mid-late afternoon nimbus clouds produce great showers

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
So everything is ok then Flintus? :) it's just he's not been that dry before hence the obsessing ;)

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Drying out is fine, however if you start seeing eyes being shut then humidity is too low-this is a different thing to this. Give him something to dig down into like moss to keep moist if he wants. I would invest in a hygrometer though to see humidty levels.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I've bought these
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365246511.219238.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365246544.927875.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365246573.307553.jpg
These are taken right now so you can see both meters read differently? Also, you can see how dry the front edge of Alan's shell is. His eyes seem fine and he has dug himself into the corner :) as you live in the UK tell me the best meter to buy? Cheers Sam ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Drying out is fine, as long as there is good humidity. Those reading aren't good-sorry! How are you keeping him as in enclosure? D'you have a mister? That substrate looks awfully dry.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
He's in a viv 4ft by 3ft
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365253417.533227.jpg
The substrate is orchid bark and I'm in the process of getting some more sphagnum moss. Don't have an electric mister but mist it with the spray bottle you can see on top of his viv. The substrate is damp underneath but not in the area he was in. Where he was is the driest part due to the infra red heat lamp above.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In an ideal habitat, the air would be between 50-99% humid, varying naturally during the day and week, but mostly in the upper part of the range. At the same time, the top of the substrate should not be wet or damp much.

This can be tough to do, especially if you live somewhere with low humidity- like indoors here in Omaha in the winter.

You can try things like pouring water in the substrate, adding plants, using a humidifier, etc. There are some ideas in the Library, linked below.

kirby2591

5 Year Member
While the viv needs the right living conditions and such... have you provided you tort with a water dish? This would allow it to drink at will and help combat the dry enviorment issue until you know everything is kosher. Would leavr the dish in even after the problem is solved

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
kirby2591 said:
While the viv needs the right living conditions and such... have you provided you tort with a water dish? This would allow it to drink at will and help combat the dry enviorment issue until you know everything is kosher. Would leavr the dish in even after the problem is solved

I've always provided Alan with his own large shallow water dish for him to soak at his will and he has a resin grey ridged stepped smaller water dish in the cool end which he goes and drinks from frequently. he loves either and the large dish is close to the heat lamp to create more humidity. I can understand your thoughts but I'd never not give anything a water source of some kind :)

Madkins007 said:
In an ideal habitat, the air would be between 50-99% humid, varying naturally during the day and week, but mostly in the upper part of the range. At the same time, the top of the substrate should not be wet or damp much.

This can be tough to do, especially if you live somewhere with low humidity- like indoors here in Omaha in the winter.

You can try things like pouring water in the substrate, adding plants, using a humidifier, etc. There are some ideas in the Library, linked below.

I've put some sphagnum moss in today and keep soaking him once a day. I think I might add his spider plant I bought him about 2 months ago? Do you think it'll be chemical/pesticide free now? I bought it from a plant shop. The electronic hydrometer reads our humidity is higher out of the viv than in the viv! Lol... It's not! It's winter like you although the first day of spring was a few weeks ago! I'm going to change his substrate tomorrow and think ill soak some of it then put it on top of the waterproof liner and mix with the dry substrate and add the sphagnum moss. Hopefully he'll be okay with this. he's still in the corner near his heat lamp bless him. He doesn't seem to want to go in his hide to sleep! Rebel! :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
Alan RF said:
kirby2591 said:

I've always provided Alan with his own large shallow water dish for him to soak at his will and he has a resin grey ridged stepped smaller water dish in the cool end which he goes and drinks from frequently. he loves either and the large dish is close to the heat lamp to create more humidity. I can understand your thoughts but I'd never not give anything a water source of some kind :)

Madkins007 said:

I've put some sphagnum moss in today and keep soaking him once a day. I think I might add his spider plant I bought him about 2 months ago? Do you think it'll be chemical/pesticide free now? I bought it from a plant shop. The electronic hydrometer reads our humidity is higher out of the viv than in the viv! Lol... It's not! It's winter like you although the first day of spring was a few weeks ago! I'm going to change his substrate tomorrow and think ill soak some of it then put it on top of the waterproof liner and mix with the dry substrate and add the sphagnum moss. Hopefully he'll be okay with this. he's still in the corner near his heat lamp bless him. He doesn't seem to want to go in his hide to sleep! Rebel! :)

Tyrone seems dry on his head just like Alan, I am misting several times a day and he has a huge water dish ...i am also soaking 4times a week ... Stop worrying! I am sure it's normal

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That white meter you have the meter it self needs to be in the enclosure.It is reading the outside of the enclosure humidity. The humidity sencor is on the read out that is what that little hole is . These meter are made to compare the inside to the outside temps. If you put the meter inside you will see your humidity go up. I think the humidity is fine . Your tort.is just hangs out on the dryer side of the enclosure under the heat lamp.

Hay look up Big Apple Pet Supply they show you the meters and how to set them in your cage in a video. They have different types to . Some have two probes so you can read temps on different sides of enclosures .If I remember correct all of them you have to put inside the enclosure to read humidity.Hope I helped a little good luck.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365343181.093961.jpg
One happy humid tort :)
Think this is what he wanted!?
The white meter has a probe that goes into the back of the viv!!!! Omg I might be blonde but not that blonde! Lol I do think the meters are wrong and will invest in new ones though. I've got my eye on an electric mister too :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Concerned about my RF

Alan RF said:
The white meter has a probe that goes into the back of the viv!!!! Omg I might be blonde but not that blonde! Lol I do think the meters are wrong and will invest in new ones though. I've got my eye on an electric mister too :)

No,really the probe on the meter does not read humidity it only reads the temp. The humidity sencor is in the body of the meter. I use the same one there is not a thing wrong with the meter. Just try it you will find that the 70 f. Will go up and so will the humidity.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
mike taylor said:
Alan RF said:

No,really the probe on the meter does not read humidity it only reads the temp. The humidity sencor is in the body of the meter. I use the same one there is not a thing wrong with the meter. Just try it you will find that the 70 f. Will go up and so will the humidity.
Mike you are so right and ME I'm so bloody blonde!!!!!! :) my husband and I just thought this lmao a thousand thank you xxx

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No problem thats why we are on the forum to help each other out.
The cool thing about these meters is you put the probe on one side and the meter on the other and you can see both temps. At the same time as well as the humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.