Confused (not sure what I'm doing wrong)

Michelle85

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose Ca
My sulcata's don't seem to be getting better so I have decided to start all over and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Im going to take each of them out of their 20 gallon tank and Move them to a large storage bin. I'm wondering if I need a ceramic heating emitter? I already have an Exo terra solar glo 125watts. I also need a new thermometer I was using a little cheap one but it's time I get something better. I have plenty of coco coir I'm not sure if that is good or should I add something else? I have already separated them and I been trying to find a good home for my little one having 2 is just a little much for me. I have read the care sheet over and over I have made the adjustments recommended and at first I saw change but now they are back to hiding all day and barley eating. I feed them a lot of mixed greens and I soak them everyday for at least 15 min. The humid hide box I have is made from a shoebox... Any suggestions on a better one? I keep water for them and I feed them mostly mixed greens store bought. I have read the care sheet posted by TOM and I learned a lot I thought I made all the changes necessary. I also put them outside in the sun every chance I get even right now i have them outside so I can get set up the new enclosures. I really hope this works. I know I'm all over the place in this post sorry but any advice is appreciated. One more thing where can something to weigh them with? My friend put them on her scale and she said my smallest one was 7.3g and the other was 8g I'm not sure if that's right ....They are almost 7 months old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scale can't be right. They hatch at 30 grams. They'd have to be dead and dried out to be only 7.3 grams. I suspect the measurement was given in ounces? That would be pretty good weight for 7 months. Are they between 3 and 4 inches long, roughly?

Are you not using night heat right now? What is the overnight low? I think there should always be a CHE controlled by a thermostat over them. THe weather has taken a sudden cold turn and this could be your problem. I used my house heater for the first time last night since March. Temperatures are critical for young sulcatas. They need it warm all the time.

In the care sheet I state that I prefer orchid bark for all ages of sulcatas. I think it works better than coir for this species, but this is not your problem as coir will work too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The main cause of not eating is because they're not warm enough. Do you have a nice point and shoot temperature thingey? Those circular thermometers that you stick to the side of the tank aren't good enough. You want something like this:

31ysBxXPEgL.jpg

This is an expensive one. You don't need to get top of the line.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
THe weight is definitely not correct. They weigh more at birth. My 7 month old is almost 300 grams.

Have you tried giving them mazuri? Is the tank or box capable of holding moisture?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
The main cause of not eating is because they're not warm enough. Do you have a nice point and shoot temperature thingey? Those circular thermometers that you stick to the side of the tank aren't good enough. You want something like this:

31ysBxXPEgL.jpg

This is an expensive one. You don't need to get top of the line.
Hi Yvonne. How much would it cost, more or less?

Appreciate an answer. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one pictured is about $55, but I bought one for only $15.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Tom- right now I only have the solar glo 125watts and most of the time I leave it on through the night. It is getting colder I would say the room is probably somewhere between 68-71 degrees. Orchid bark is what I wanted to get I was actually thinking about mixing the coco coir and orchid bar you anyone that does that? Is the 125watts to low for the solar glo? How many watts should heat emitter be?

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Yvonne- I'm looking for something just like that..just not as expensive I'm going to look around on Amazon and see what I can find. Thank you so much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Buy a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for night time heat. It's not good for the tortoise to live in the land of the midnight sun:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

125 watts is plenty hot enough. I only use the 100 watt bulbs. Try covering the habitat to keep the heat inside.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Edizzle88- I have the grassland Tortise food but have not given them any yet.

It's been pretty warm this last summer so I was not using a heat emitter.... I think it's time to pick a few up.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
Thank you so much Yvonne. I will get the new bulb today and hopefully it will make a difference. I will continue to follow the care sheet that Tom has posted and hopefully I can get them feeling much better and find a new home for Dixon.

Michelle85

San Jose Ca
I knew something had to be wrong with the weight she defiantly said grams but it was probably ounces because some post I saw had information about weight and it made no sense that they were that small. That makes me feel a lot better.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your Solar-glo is probably fine for day time, but you need to measure your temps to be sure. The Solar-glo should be on a timer for 12-13 hours a day.

They need it dark at night, but still warm.

You should add a ceramic heating element and set it on a thermostat. 100 or 150 watts ones will work. They won't overheat the enclosure because the thermostat will shut them off at your set point. I'd set it for 80-82. Put the CHE over the middle of the tank and put the probe on the cool side.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Michelle I mix the grassland tortoise food with the greens . That's how I got them use to eating it. Now they will eat it without the greens as well. Mazuri is good to buy.

Like the more senior tortoise members will tell you... It's all about the enclosure being warm and humid all the time plus daily soaks. The rest(eating larger quantities being more social) come when you perfect those things.

I use foil ontop. Cut out the holes for the lamps. Keeps it all in very well.