Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
I'm a bit confused as to how smart a tortoise actually is? I have been working with mine to try and teach him things. He has picked up on a few things pretty quick. Such as "Hide". When I say hide and I touch his nose, he will draw up inside his shell. If I say "Stay" he will stay! When I say "Lay" he will pretty much just lay there. He's good at that one! When I look at him and say "Shhhhhh" by golly he will not make a single noise! We are still working of "Fetch" but it's proving difficult. Haha! This was a joke but really just want to know if your Torts show any cool signs of intelligence?? Or is everything they do just survival instinct???:D

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Nixxy said:
Mine comes when I call her name. :D

Mine comes when I call his name too! Although, I am not 100% sure if he just perks up when he hears my voice or if he actually knows his own name. Guess I will have to test this theory out when I get my second one. Hopefully he doesn't come to the new ones name as well! haha

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Mine make animal feces and animal corpses disappear. A convenient magic trick.

My Mep and YF females will climb out of their tubs and manage to climb into other tubs if they can see or smell food that has yet to be eaten in those other tubs. Climbing out is not surprising. Climbing in is considerably more difficult due to the height of the tub sides, the smoothness of the material, and because of the floor. I have observed them trying to raid a series of as many as three tubs. My sulcatas are physically unable to perform the same activity. I think it might be due to the range of motion for the limbs that the forest tortoises might be able to achieve. Longer and with a greater possible ability to rotate at the joint. Sulcatas do not seem to have the same degree of joint mobility.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
TortyTom said:
I'm a bit confused as to how smart a tortoise actually is? I have been working with mine to try and teach him things. He has picked up on a few things pretty quick. Such as "Hide". When I say hide and I touch his nose, he will draw up inside his shell. If I say "Stay" he will stay! When I say "Lay" he will pretty much just lay there. He's good at that one! When I look at him and say "Shhhhhh" by golly he will not make a single noise! We are still working of "Fetch" but it's proving difficult. Haha! This was a joke but really just want to know if your Torts show any cool signs of intelligence?? Or is everything they do just survival instinct???:D

Hahaha!!! Love it! Elsa will raise her head and look at me until she figures out I don't have treats for her, then she goes back to basking. :)

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Moozilion said:
TortyTom said:

Hahaha!!! Love it! Elsa will raise her head and look at me until she figures out I don't have treats for her, then she goes back to basking. :)

Haha! Moozilion, I thought it was cute too! When I knock on Darwin's rock, he will stick his head out to see whats going on and if I don't have food for him, he just rolls his eyes at me and goes back inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.