constantly climbing sides

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigailandemily

5 Year Member
I have two Russians bought at two different places. Abigail is content to eat and climb a bit and burrow. Emily spends hours trying to get out. My enclosure is on an enclosed patio and is 8 ft by 3 ft. 3 hides and 2 climbing places (ramps up a concrete brick hide. Several plants. When I take Emily out she practically runs across patio. Have to really watch her or she gets lost in potted plants. My question is am I torturing her by not letting her have more space? I want them both to have quality of life. Does this mean she was wild caught and I'm stressing her out to keep her confined?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they can see out of the sides of the enclosure, cover it. Also, make sure she is not being bullied by the other one and is trying to get out of it. And a bigger enclosure is always better. Maybe make her own enclosure and see if she is happier.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's right, and... some Russians are very restless and love to roam. Eventually they often settle down.
Your enclosure is a good size for two Russians, as long as they get along (for torts, that means they leave each other alone ;) )

abigailandemily

5 Year Member
Emily the climber is the bigger one and they pretty much ignore each other. The sides are 3 feet high so they can't see out. But thanks for the help.

pandiculator

5 Year Member
It's my understanding that RTs sometimes love to climb stuff, so that might just be what she likes to do, too.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That's true. Some torts will pace the perimeter and try to get out, no matter what the size of the enclosure. Often they will settle down, but not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.