Could someone ID these weeds?

ayrgrn

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,
Would appreciate if someone could ID these weeds I have in my garden and whether I can feed to my Hermann's tort :)
1)IMG_20190330_080558.jpg2)IMG_20190330_080610.jpg
3)IMG_20190330_080531.jpg
4)IMG_20190330_080543.jpg
5)IMG_20190330_080527.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I'm not very confident when it comes to IDing plants so always tend to be very cautious and don't feed anything I'm not 100% sure of but here's my thoughts.
The second picture (and possibly the first) could be lesser celandine in which case do NOT feed.
The fourth maybe sow thistle which would be ok to feed but double check that.
Now you have some names to go on check them on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk - that will tell you what is safe or not.
Hopefully someone much more experienced will be able to help too.

ayrgrn

UK
I'm not very confident when it comes to IDing plants so always tend to be very cautious and don't feed anything I'm not 100% sure of but here's my thoughts.
The second picture (and possibly the first) could be lesser celandine in which case do NOT feed.
The fourth maybe sow thistle which would be ok to feed but double check that.
Now you have some names to go on check them on www.thetortoisetable.org.uk - that will tell you what is safe or not.
Hopefully someone much more experienced will be able to help too.
Okay thanks for this info, ill check thetortoisetable :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Okay thanks for this info, ill check thetortoisetable :)
I've put a leaf identification chart from Wikipedia on this thread which makes describing plants easier when you do an internet search.
I never know how to describe their shapes etc but that does help.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The third plant is some kind of brassica, I think. I can’t say which one, as it’s so young. Brassicas are all safe but I’d wait a bit and try to ID it again.

The fourth plant is a sow thistle, safe.

The last plant might be buttercup, the picture needs to be further away for me to get a better sense of the plant. Buttercups will eventually have small yellow flowers. The Tortoise Table will tell you that buttercups are in a family that should never be fed. This is an area where I strongly agree with their advice. Our Mediterranean tortoises each a bunch of these in the wild and many of our UK members have let their tortoises graze on them for years with no ill effects.