Crested Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
Hey! Does anyone here have a crested gecko? If so what is some basic care you use? Do you feed em crested gecko diet?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Room temp higher than 65, but lower than 80. NO BABYFOOD. Feed CGD, mist atleast once a day, have lots of plants to hide in. Don't put two males in the same tank (they will fight to kill) um.....I have some in a different thread of mine. Take a look. Hit me up if you have any more questions, I have 9 cresteds and 8 eggs incubating.

Shalon

5 Year Member
I just got one. Love it already and want to get more because there are so many cool ones out there!
Since I'm new to them I'll let someone else that knows more tell you about how to care for them. I do feed the CGD though.

annie

5 Year Member
NJ
CGD is great :) No need for a heat lamp. The temperature ranges that someone gave above are great. If the crested you just got is very small, the housing needs to suit it accordingly so it may find food, etc. Do you have a gram scale so you can weigh it?

Are we allowed to link to other forums/sites here? I could PM you the name of a great crested site where you can get more info and a caresheet. I was going through the members list on here and realized that some people from here are also on the crested forum I visit. It's a small reptile world.

I'm a small time breeder who has finally purchased a website and got a logo made. I'm excited for it. I have about 50 cresteds currently with tons of eggs incubating. All of these little ones live in my bedroom and almost everyone is in their own appropriately sized enclosure. I use paper towel as a substrate because it's so easy to clean and you can make sure the gecko is pooping (because you may never actually see them eat). I feed CGD every other day in little soda bottle caps and I feed my gang insects once or twice a week.

I'd be glad to help if you have any questions!

ReptileManiac

5 Year Member
Thanks! I am also a member of a crested gecko forum! No I don't have a scale and I don't even have one yet. I just want to make sure I get everything right.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Hey! I just got my first CG for my b-day!!! Yeah!!! SOoooooOOH excited. Who can recommend a good forum for gecko? There are so many, I don't know which one is good to join.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I'm on both repashy and pangea under Meg90 as well. :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Great. Thanks! They do look good to join. See you all there!
BTW--It's been 2 days and I'm not seeing my little guy eating the CG food but he's approaching the water cup. I'm not sure if the food evaporated a little overnight or he actually ate some. His tummy is like half a pea so I understand that it's very hard to detect food consumption. I'd say he's a sneaky little guy I spent 40 minutes watching him this evening and he would not blink (ha ha) but he would move ever so slightly whenever I go away for a while. He's in a little ten gallon tank now w/a pretty nice set-up, I think. I'll post the pix soon. I plan to update his home during the holiday season if not by the end of Jan after another show near-by.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Pictures will help. Also, when I first got mine I felt like I was watching a slide show instead of a movie. It was like, every time I checked my first boy was in a different spot, but I NEVER actually saw him change his position!

Do you know how much your gecko weighs? His setup might be too big for him.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
From what I've heard, they eat so little, it's a near impossibility to catch them in the act... That, and they like their food better the second or third day. ... FWIW. I also kind of have to wonder if the water in the food would evaporate at all without the food showing signs of drying out.

Yes! Pics, pics, pics!! =D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I really wouldn't give advice if you don't personally own the species. I don't mean any insult, but it can be really misleading if you don't know exactly what you are talking about.

I have seen all of my geckos eat atleast once or twice. They actually can eat quite a bit. I have one girl that rushes right down to her dish as soon as I set it in the cage. That's also something else that will help. Once he knows WHEN and WHERE you put food, he will wait there, or watch that spot. Tonks (my food loving lady) stares me down on feeding nights, and goes a running when its set down.

Also, if the room is not completely dark they will hold absolutely still. Especially when they are in a new environment. Some geckos aren't bothered by light when they are awake (at night--since they are nocturnal) but I have a few individuals that won't move about at all if there is light in the room.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Gee, sorry to offend you. If I'm wrong about something I said, please let me know and correct me. Honestly, Meg, it doesn't matter how you put it, you're still essentially saying "Shut up because your information is worthless"--that's going to be offensive and insulting no matter what unless you have valid reason to say it (hence: correct me if I'm wrong). So? Was my post wrong?? If so, where? Looking back, I could very well have stopped and thought it out better, but, wording aside, I'm pretty sure the jist of it was very correct. Now, let's look at my logic.

You say yourself, "if the room is not completely dark they will hold absolutely still." In other words, unless you turn all the lights out (eliminating your own ability to see), there's little to no chance of witnessing a nervous gecko actually feeding... Plus, young geckos (as Mado's gecko, presumably, is) certainly aren't going to eat as much as your adults. Going back to my post: They (young geckos) don't eat a lot (as in, an easily discerned amount of food). It's hard to catch a (young) gecko eating when it doesn't eat a lot (easily discerned amount of food). Impossible? No, but difficult enough that, at least for the new keeper unfamiliar with their habits, I'd bet it's nearly so... In other words, the information I gave in my previous post is quite valid, would you agree?

Mado, I think the general sentiment here is your gecko is acting normally for a (presumably young) gecko in a new environment. Also, FWIW (aka: take it with a grain of salt), I've heard it recommended quite often to keep young (think ~ hatchling age) cresties on paper towel so you can see when they poop (evidence of those itty bitty little tummies getting full).

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I have geckos from hatchlings (as in, I witnessed them hatching and produced them myself) all the way up to 6yrs+ adults. I have seen all of them eat. I have been able to tell by the left over food whether they had visited the dish in the night or not. Just for kicks after I read your post, I zapped the little lamp in the livingroom, and went around with a pen light to check on everybody. I watched six seperate geckos eating, two of them only three weeks old.

Your post was incorrect.

You should be able to tell that a gecko has eaten, one, and two, no, you cannot leave their food in there for three days without changing it. Three, a pen light, or red flashlight will provide enough light that you can see the gecko, but not disturb it.

You do not own this species, your post started with "from what I have heard". I do not think that if you don't have any absolutely correct info, that you should attempt to pass it on.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Well, then, I stand corrected. You should have corrected me in the first place, though, instead of simply being rude without saying why... :rolleyes:

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
And here I thought I was being nice. :) I didn't mean anything by it. But passing on word of mouth facts can lead to bad care regimes down the road, and then somebody always argues "well my friend said it was ok to do it"

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ah, and the internet's worst factor shows its face again. What you thought was nice, I interpreted as hostile. It would come off as less offensive if you had told me where I was wrong before telling me to stop advising. I can understand your reasoning, though.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you ladies,
I love the passion this creature brought out of you.
I was eager to start giving this what the pet shop's inventory said was a 3 months old cg a nice looking home, so I didn't do the paper towel route. Taylor, I read that somewhere too and it's probably a good way to track their eating/digesting food. I wished I had thought of it first. I put eco-earth for substrate. I suspected that I would see smears of poops on glass at sometime or another but I haven't see any so far. BUT!! He's been more active today and I am experiencing the slide show ninja act. Last night, I did see him approach the water cup sitting on it for a long time and this morning soaking his butt in it -- Maggie, have you seen this? (it couldn't be too hot, the temp was in mid 60's this morning and I moist plenty 2x day and hygrometer reads anywhere btwn 50 to 60s), AND while I could not see cg food touched I saw 3 out of 5 tiny meal worms gone. These are soft kinds so I don't believe it could cause impaction; let me know otherwise. I'm basing a lot of my decisions on a book by Philippe de Vosjoli that mentions in acknowledgments of the book someone like Allen Repashy.

OK. You asked for it. I hope this works. Here are some pix I took last night.
This one is of a 10 gallon terrarium with barks and rocks w/plastic fern/vines. I had a repitile light there but I switch to ceramic infrared heat emitter 100 watts and another heat glo infrared heat lamp 75 w--this one makes the red glow and supposedly does not disturb the animal. I touched up the color to make the hue more neutral so you won't be overwhelmed by the color red. In this pic, he is seen vertically hanging in the middle of a tank.
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01316.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01317.jpg
He's a little guy (was smaller than 2 other housed together) and I consider it was a rescue from Petco. I was going to go through a breeder but I heard that many males end up in the shops since breeders want to keep 1-5 ration male-to-female. So i got the male at the shop, and I hope to find a nice girly mate from a breeder in January. I think he's cute, don't you?
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01319.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01326-1.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01322.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01330-1.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01332.jpg
http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt49/madortoise/DSC01323.jpg

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hey, mealworms, something I have personal experience with... ;)
I HATE those things. And superworms, and every other kind of mealworm-type creature. Before I go on, I should mention.. My beardie is a sickly little weirdo. He was a starved and dehydrated rescue with Metabolic Bone Disorder, so his various quirks and health issues are no surprise to me but certainly a factor and something I like to mention whenever I so much as consider giving information based on my experiences with him. Anyway, a while after we got him, we couldn't handle his usual monthly silkworm expense, and instead, since he wasn't and isn't quick enough to handle crickets, substituted meal and super worms... There was an amazing amount of exoskeleton in his poo after that started, and he started to get "backed up"--slightly impacted, I think. It took weeks after the mealworms stopped for him to start returning to "normal." Now, again, this is a sickly dragon to begin with, then you have to consider that dragons and cresties are two very different animals. What is bad for my dragon may be fine for your crestie, so take my opinion with a grain (or two) of salt... But I would be one to steer very clear of mealworms. I'd rather deal with crix or roaches in large quantity than feed mealworms to one of my animals ever again. xP

Very cute crestie, by the way! I like the enclosure, too (but I almost want to throw more foliage in that middle area... heh). =)

Status
Not open for further replies.