Cross Breeding - HELP PLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanin

5 Year Member
I have golden greek (6 years of age) and a russian of 4 years. They have lived together with minimal fuss over the years. recently (over 6 months) the male russian has attempted to breed with the female greek. Yesterday the female laid 4 eggs. I immediately put them into an incubation unit. Will any babies be born from these eggs? or is it impossible for them to cross breed? Please help as very anxious. thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Shanin:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Well, stranger things have happened. I would just go ahead and incubate them and see what comes of it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum..

I agree, no harm in incubating them. Never know what might happen..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I forgot to ask where you are? And is "shanin" your name or your username?

shanin

5 Year Member
thanks for all the welcomes! Mine currently reside in southern spain so they have very warm climate all year round. during the 6 years we have had them, they have never hibernated I guess its becuase of the warmth maybe. I wasnt sure if cross breeding would work with these two...it centainly wasnt my intention to breed them :) What would be the complications I could see in the next coming weeks? any furtehr advice would be great...thanks guys

shanin

5 Year Member
photo of the new laid eggs...day 2! lol;)

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 111

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Something that may help- female tortoises are known to retain sperm from matings for up to three years and possibly much longer. it is possible that the eggs were fertilized by another male somewhere if you have only had it about 6 months.

I sadly don't know about Greeks or Russians to know this in their case, but often when a female lays a relatively few eggs, the odds are that they are infertile, especially if they were not well buried in a good nest. As others have said- ANYTHING is possible here and incubating them is a really good idea. Just be ready for the possibility that nothing will happen. The whole 'hope for the best, plan for the worst' bit.

shanin

5 Year Member
There are no chances of meeting other tortoises. they live together only so the only interactions would be of the two of them! :)

its exciting, but I will bare in mind its unlkely they will hatch

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
This is a good example of why different species should not be housed together. There is actually as good a chance that they could be fertile as any. There are documented cases of Russians being bred with Eastern Hermann's and Ibera Spur-thighs with Marginateds. So the possibility does exist.

Kailey

5 Year Member
Very eager to see the outcome of this. Hybrids certainly are interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.