cross species mating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VWGolf

5 Year Member
I had a pair of Hermann's tortoises, owned both for about 30 years and they were owned by another family before me, so both at least 50 years old. The male was constantly trying to mate the female and over the years, she has laid eggs sometimes.

Last month, she laid a couple of eggs, then one day when I went to check they were all in their bed (they have free run of my enclosed garden), I was horrified to find she had a large prolapse.

I took her to the vet, who kept her over the weekend and tried to shrink it, then told me to take her to another vet the other side of the country. At this stage, Rosie was still quite lively and eating.

The second vet gave her antibiotics and after 2 days, local anaesthetic before amputating the prolapse. They said they would let her recover before opening her shell to take out a dozen eggs that could be seen in the x-ray. Unfortunately, Rosie became very weak and she had to be put to sleep. I was heart-broken. I fetched her home and buried her in my garden.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48986945@N03/5970260063/in/set-72157626974062805
Her mate, Henry, missed her and spent a fair amount of time seemingly looking for her. The problem now is that he is looking at my other tortoise, a really elderly spur-thighed female. He is circling her and peering into her shell and inspecting her back legs, as if he is considering mating her.

My vet told me that his constant mating of Rosie may have caused her reproductive parts to have weakened and made the prolapse more likely. I really don't want Henry to turn his unwanted attentions to Peggy and cause problems for her as well.

It would be difficult to separate them, and I don't want to have to rehome Henry after all these years, so please could someone tell me if Peggy is safe from being mated by Henry, or whether I need to think of rehoming him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi VWGolf:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It is sometimes hard to have a 1 to 1 ratio male/female tortoise, because the lone female will be the only one for the male to mate with. He will keep following her and trying to breed her. Before even considering re-homing one of your tortoises, take a really good look at your garden and try to figure out a way to separate it into two habitats. A smaller habitat is much preferred over being pestered by a male all the time.

To answer your question, if a male tortoise, especially a Mediterranean-type, wants to breed, he won't care if the object of his affections is a Greek or even a large boulder. He will try and keep trying.

VWGolf

5 Year Member
Hello Yvonne - and thanks for your quick reply.

My name is Stella and I live in Sherwood, Nottingham, England.

I had a suspicion that Henry was trying his chances with Peggy, so I guess I shall have to try to divide the garden. It will need some thinking about, as the obvious division means one will have the lawn and the garden and the other one will have the paved part. However, I would like to keep Henry if possible, so will look into it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Welcome to the forum!

Can you post pictures of your garden? Maybe we can help you brainstorm a bit, I have some outdoor enclosures that I built very inexpensively and perhaps we can find a solution where both can have a bit of lawn.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
Hi VWGolf:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It is sometimes hard to have a 1 to 1 ratio male/female tortoise, because the lone female will be the only one for the male to mate with. He will keep following her and trying to breed her. Before even considering re-homing one of your tortoises, take a really good look at your garden and try to figure out a way to separate it into two habitats. A smaller habitat is much preferred over being pestered by a male all the time.

To answer your question, if a male tortoise, especially a Mediterranean-type, wants to breed, he won't care if the object of his affections is a Greek or even a large boulder. He will try and keep trying.

Absolutely correct...that why I have 3 females, so that each only get 1/3 of Ptolemy's "gleeful attention".

Condolenses on the loss of Rosie, Stella...it's never easy to lose a beloved pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.