Cucumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I read that cucumber has a LOT of water in it. If my Hermann's urates are grainy and she doesn't seem to,want to drink, would ago slice of peeled cucumber beta sneaky way to get some water in her now and then? :p

Darn spell check: that should be would a slice of cucumber be a way to get some water in her.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
I have fed my Herman cucumber before for the same reason. He doesn't seem to drink a great deal and loves cucumber. So why not?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as it does not replace too much of what the diet ought to be, it should be fine. I have occasionally fed it to my tortoises for decades.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tom said:
As long as it does not replace too much of what the diet ought to be, it should be fine. I have occasionally fed it to my tortoises for decades.

I like the "for decades" bit.
Makes you sound hundreds of years old Tom! Lol
:p

Katherine

5 Year Member
Granted I am working with much larger tortoises, but I feed cucumber fairly regularly (we grow them and can never eat them all!) with no issues what so ever. I think it would be a fine way to trick your tortoise into getting a little extra hydration. Most lettuces are similar in that the water content exceeds nutritional value and might also accomplish the same goal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
karleyreed said:
Tom said:

I like the "for decades" bit.
Makes you sound hundreds of years old Tom! Lol
:p

Yeah. It was really cool when I hit the 20 year mark and could add the S to the end of decade... If I counted the cucumbers that I fed to my first box turtle when I was 7 years old, I could say, "I've been occasionally feeding it to my chelonians for more than THREE decades......." Makes me sound really credible/knowledgeable, huh? I usually don't count the time with Tommy Turtle because I was a really ignorant kid and went to a really ignorant vet and did everything all wrong. I have no idea how that poor turtle survived. Testament to how strong they are.

Thanks for the fun. :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Katherine said:
Granted I am working with much larger tortoises, but I feed cucumber fairly regularly (we grow them and can never eat them all!) with no issues what so ever. I think it would be a fine way to trick your tortoise into getting a little extra hydration.

I agree with this.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Yeah. It was really cool when I hit the 20 year mark and could add the S to the end of decade... If I counted the cucumbers that I fed to my first box turtle when I was 7 years old, I could say, "I've been occasionally feeding it to my chelonians for more than THREE decades......." Makes me sound really credible/knowledgeable, huh? I usually don't count the time with Tommy Turtle because I was a really ignorant kid and went to a really ignorant vet and did everything all wrong. I have no idea how that poor turtle survived. Testament to how strong they are.

Thanks for the fun. :D

I have only just been alive over 20 years never mind raising torts that long haha

Status
Not open for further replies.