custom enclosure

cvasta

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
texas
i am looking at building my own sealed enclosure and was wondering what i could use to keep the water and humidity from damaging the wood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most types of wood sealers, or water proof paint. just let air out really well before putting tort in. Some also line with plastic or pond liners.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thick plastic drop cloth that you can buy at any hardware store will work. That or non-toxic boat paint.

cvasta

5 Year Member
texas
wellington said:
Most types of wood sealers, or water proof paint. just let air out really well before putting tort in. Some also line with plastic or pond liners.

Thanks that is what i thought but i just wanted to see what other people would say. i am planning on it being 4'x8' so i figure if i seal it as im building it and let it sit for a couple of days after im finished it would be fine to use

Tom said:
Thick plastic drop cloth that you can buy at any hardware store will work. That or non-toxic boat paint.

i never thought of using boat paint do you know some brands that would be good to use??

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I am not sure what you have in mind as a design, but you could look into using treated or laminated plywood that is thick enough to eliminate the need for a frame, and using a wood sealer would not be necessary. I am in the process of building a winter tort house using some 3/4 inch laminated plywood and it is working out fine.