Cuttle bones being passed!

Chango

Location (City and/or State)
Fountiancity Indiana
I offer a cuttle bone to our 20lbs female once or twice a week. She chomps them right up. The thing that concerns me is when she poops in her soaking tub we find the broken up cuttle bone. This makes me wonder if the calcium being absorbed or if she is simply passing the cuttle bone. Its not her only supplement of calcium. I put calcium powder on every other feeding. I was just wondering if the cuttle bone was a waste of time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I offer a cuttle bone to our 20lbs female once or twice a week. She chomps them right up. The thing that concerns me is when she poops in her soaking tub we find the broken up cuttle bone. This makes me wonder if the calcium being absorbed or if she is simply passing the cuttle bone. Its not her only supplement of calcium. I put calcium powder on every other feeding. I was just wondering if the cuttle bone was a waste of time.
That is how it works. If they don't need it, it simply passes through. If you have other calcium supplements and are feeding a varied, calcium rich diet, you could skip the cuttle bones.