Cuttlebone

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Last year I bought a box of bulk cuttlebone online. . . Amazon, I think. It was about 25 pieces. I put it away in the pantry and proceeded to forget about it.

This past week end my daughter went to the bird mart, an annual event with vendors, etc. at the fairground. She called to complain how quiet and how small it was - hardly any supplies. She had wanted to buy cuttlebone. I remembered mine and told her I'd give her some. So I took out enough pieces to put one in each of my tortoise yards and gave her the rest.

The next day every single one of those cuttlebones had been chewed on. So from now on, that's how I'm going to offer it. . .withhold for a month or so, then put it out.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yep, thats kind of what I do as well. I’ll toss our Sully one and she will devour it, entire thing gone in no time at all. Thrn, I’ll wait maybe a month, or three weeks, then do the same.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I've been breaking them up into smaller pieces and putting them in the dish with his Mazuri. They go a lot quicker than just offering the whole piece

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Is Sully the biggest sulcata for his age on the forum? He's awesome [emoji16]

Nagh, i doubt it. I got him from one of @Lancecham ’s clutches, and he reports they are all about in the same weight range. Good DNA in Lance’s stock I guess. Started right, and i followed all of the info on the Forum from Day 1.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Nagh, i doubt it. I got him from one of @Lancecham ’s clutches, and he reports they are all about in the same weight range. Good DNA in Lance’s stock I guess. Started right, and i followed all of the info on the Forum from Day 1.

It's just hard to imagine Sully is only about a year older than Vlad, but 50 pounds heavier. It's amazing how much they can vary in size :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Maybe I'll try that with my RF.
I throw out 5 or 6 before even one gets chewed on.
There are two out there right now dissoving in the rain. Untouched.
I've been afraid to not leave any out there, because the boneheads will eat rocks instead.