Cypress Mulch or Coco coir or dirt for russians --Substrate and enclosure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Little Rock, Ar
I have 1 male and 2 female Russians in a 3 ft by 8 ft enclosure. Right now I am using about 4 inches thick of cypress mulch with hills in it that they like to dig and bury themselves in.

My question is
Cypress Mulch or Coco coir or dirt for russians

After talking to another russian breeder and looking at the forums I am thinking of dropping in 2 rubbermaid crates of dirt in the enclosure for digging, burrowing and future egg laying. I can cut out a square in the floor and drop them in so they are level but will allow the tortoises to dig down.

Does that make sense?

I feel like thats the best of both substrate world. Cypress mulch (which I think GB uses) and Dirt to burrow in.

kyle82tx

5 Year Member
dallas texas
RE: Cypress Mulch or Coco coir or dirt for russians --Substrate and enclosure questi

sounds good... ive got sand and cypress mulch in mine also and it works out good..i put the sand down on the entire floor but more so on one end and only used the mulch on the other half.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
RE: Cypress Mulch or Coco coir or dirt for russians

I use cypress and coco coir. No dirt. Don't want mud or dry dusty stuff. Or bugs.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
There is a hibernation thread that I saved. One of the members does exactly that: he actually cut holes in the bottom of his indoor enclosure and sunk tubs 3'x2'x8", with well draining soil. He had halogen lights on them to warm them up, and did have success with the females laying eggs (that hatched with incubation), in the tubs. He kept the area on the dry side.
He said if the tubs are not deep enough, the females won't lay, because they like to make the nest deep and will refuse to lay if they hit bottom before they are satisfied with the depth.

His info starts in post #39:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-33848-page-3.html

LRTortoises

10 Year Member!
Little Rock, Ar
dirt tubs installed in

lynnedit said:
There is a hibernation thread that I saved. One of the members does exactly that: he actually cut holes in the bottom of his indoor enclosure and sunk tubs 3'x2'x8", with well draining soil. He had halogen lights on them to warm them up, and did have success with the females laying eggs (that hatched with incubation), in the tubs. He kept the area on the dry side.
He said if the tubs are not deep enough, the females won't lay, because they like to make the nest deep and will refuse to lay if they hit bottom before they are satisfied with the depth.

His info starts in post #39:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-33848-page-3.html

Yeah that's where i got the plan. I emailed ryan to see if that is still working for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.