Damaged Shell, What to do?

julicrenshaw

Location (City and/or State)
Big Lake Village, Missouri, USA
I found a small female ornate box turtle (I think it's an Ornate) on the highway near where I live. I've never see any box turtles in the area I live in. I stopped to look at it and found it's shell is messed up. Looks like it has had some major trauma. Deep scratches, punchers, missing pieces on the edges. Doesn't look fresh to me. I think I see new scuts under the bone, but it doesn't look like the old stuff is coming off. I don't know what to do to help her. My plan is to release her again, even though she's very sweet and my male box turtle really likes her. I don't want to release her damaged, I'd like to help her if I can.

Attachments

• *Side.jpg
    *Side.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    820.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Bottom_lower.jpg
    Bottom_lower.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Bottom_upper.jpg
    Bottom_upper.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    795 KB · Views: 41
  • Top_side.jpg
    Top_side.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 45

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I found a small female ornate box turtle (I think it's an Ornate) on the highway near where I live. I've never see any box turtles in the area I live in. I stopped to look at it and found it's shell is messed up. Looks like it has had some major trauma. Deep scratches, punchers, missing pieces on the edges. Doesn't look fresh to me. I think I see new scuts under the bone, but it doesn't look like the old stuff is coming off. I don't know what to do to help her. My plan is to release her again, even though she's very sweet and my male box turtle really likes her. I don't want to release her damaged, I'd like to help her if I can.

If you have allowed the captive turtle you have into the same space as this wild turtle you may have just closed the opportunity to release the wild one back into the wild....tough situation. The shell looks like the shell of a wild turtle that has had some scrapes but otherwise got through them...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should never put a wild turtle near your captive one.
If the encounter between the two was very short or not at all then you should put this turtle back where you found it but in a safer place, not near the road.

Melis

Maryland
Also keep a close eye on yours for awhile. There should always be a quarantine period with new torts because you never know what the other could be carrying, especially one that is wild caught.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
This girl looks great! Yes, the shell has some old damage, scars, and probably some shell rot at one time, but such is life:) I'd send her on her way.

julicrenshaw

Big Lake Village, Missouri, USA
If you have allowed the captive turtle you have into the same space as this wild turtle you may have just closed the opportunity to release the wild one back into the wild....tough situation. The shell looks like the shell of a wild turtle that has had some scrapes but otherwise got through them...
Although the turtles did see each other once, they have not been kept together.