Dark Brown Urine!!!

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Hey there!!!

I walked into my kitchen today and found a puddle of dark brown liquid. I thought I spilt some of my tea on the ground that morning and cleaned it up. I came back about an hour later and came back to another puddle! So now I know it's coming from my redfoot! There havent been any changes to her diet this week. She's been eating dandelions and chard all week and some mango. she's about seven. Thoughts?IMG_5946.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, number one - why is the tortoise loose on the kitchen floor? Redfoot tortoises have pretty specific living requirements, and the bare floor isn't one of them.

The second thing is their urine changes colors depending upon what they've been eating. For example, when they've eaten dandelion leaves it comes out pretty dark. But dandelion isn't the only thing.

phebe121

Dandelions chang the color of the pee.acharedfoots need humidity and other care what are you feeding and how are you takening care of him

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Well, number one - why is the tortoise loose on the kitchen floor? Redfoot tortoises have pretty specific living requirements, and the bare floor isn't one of them.

The second thing is their urine changes colors depending upon what they've been eating. For example, when they've eaten dandelion leaves it comes out pretty dark. But dandelion isn't the only thing.

She was out soaking in her dish. I leave her out when its sunny outside. she's a roamer. She goes in and out of the kitchen to the yard as she pleases on nice days a couple times a week, just for an hour or so. She is well taken car of. Anyway, I think it was just the dandelions. Shes been eating the ones with purple stems. I must of just never noticed her pee turn that color before. I've only seen it clear.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! How old is your tortoise and how long have you had her?
Can you post some pics of her enclosure and let us know what are her living conditions? Maybe there is something we can help you with or add information you can use to make sure she is getting the best! Lots of experts here...I have learned a great deal since joining this site last June!
I have 2 one year old redfoots. I am NOT an expert by any means!