Datura

Hippiesicle

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix AZ
Well I messed up. Had a sprout pop in in my back yard that I was fairly certain was Datura wrightii. Being a native plant lover I began tending to it. I’ve had other toxic plants pop up in my yard before and Zen, my desert tort, has ALWAYS stayed clear. Almost like he knew.

So the plant was barely an inch high but had a couple small leaves on it. Not even thinking, Zen was out walking around and I spotted him over by the plant. To my dismay I noticed a little bite out of one of the leaves. Assuming the plant tasted bad, I think it caused him to not take another as he just stayed there staring at it.

I ended up ripping the sprout out of the ground and confirmed it was Datura by the pungent smell.

Should I be super worried? He’s a 15 year old tortoise and fairly big. I know the toxicity of Datura is plant specific meaning one plant may have relatively low toxicity while the plant next to it will be high toxicity. Being a leafy green native plant in both the Mojave and Sonoran deserts I just can’t fathom a wild tortoise hasn’t ever nibbled on one of these.

Anyway, he’s burrowed up for the evening and am planning to check on him in the AM. I don’t think there’s a whole lot I can do at this point. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks for any input.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't think there is anything you can do, either. At least it sounds like only a bite was taken from a very immature plant.

If he's acting a little crazy in the AM, you'll know he got some of it. 🥴😵‍💫

Hippiesicle

10 Year Member!
Phoenix AZ
I’m just hoping none of the other bad things will happen. I’m worried sick 😔

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I’m just hoping none of the other bad things will happen. I’m worried sick 😔
I understand, and I'm sorry if my post came across as if I was taking the situation lightly. I would be worried too.

But I really believe that if he only ate that one bite, he'll be fine. And since it tasted bad, he may have spit it out.

Try to get some rest tonight...and check him early tomorrow. I'm hoping he'll be up and looking like "hey, human! Where's breakfast!?"

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say…..just soak a lot today and for the next few days. Extra long daily soaks, not just an inch…. a good deep long soak. It’s hot there anyhow so I’m sure your tort will appreciate the extra hydration.

A few extra Opuntia pads & aloe would be good as well.

Ps…I’m sure a bite here or there no harm, no foul. But soak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really don't think there is anything to worry about. Usually they have to eat a lot more then. Nibble or small leaf. I had almost a whole plumeria leaf eaten and never a sign of anything wrong.