Deep Shell Rot

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
I live in South Florida and my year old red foot has a few spots of shell rot from a wet outdoor enclosure. I have her inside now until this issue clears up. Then I'll move her enclosure so it gets more sun for the winter.

The issue is that I scraped off the white she'll rot and have been treating it with tolnaftate 1%. She has one spot on the lower right edge of her plastron that is deeper and pink. See picture. Do I treat the pink spot with the anti fungal until the shell regrows over the area or should I treat it for a week or so and then keep it clean and dry until it regrows? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447721582.624070.jpg

AnimalLady

Good question~ I'm not experienced enough to answer it, but I want to see the replies.

Question for you~ I live in South FL too and this is always on my mind. How long did it take you to notice this? I keep both of mine outdoors and I check them daily.. but I was just wondering.. does this just pop up over night? Or is this something that takes time?

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good question~ I'm not experienced enough to answer it, but I want to see the replies.

Question for you~ I live in South FL too and this is always on my mind. How long did it take you to notice this? I keep both of mine outdoors and I check them daily.. but I was just wondering.. does this just pop up over night? Or is this something that takes time?
I have a Redfoot outside in So Florida too. I check about every other day - or when I pick her up.

Shell rot does not appear overnight with real damage. It takes a bit of time. The problem is it is easy to miss if you don't look often and see changes early. The spots are however , often very small - red or black - and unfortunate it can be rotting under the shell and cover area you can't see. This is true of caprice also.

In the rainy season here , I wipe on some Lamasil about once / month just on the plastron. Just a preventative to fungus. I do this to all my torts except the Boxies. May not really help - but doesn't hurt IMO.

I also have a varied terrain in her enclosure with little hills that dry out even after a pouring rain. She walks up on these and Suns / drys.

Her inside enclosure for winter is damp only on about 1/2. The other side I never wet.
I don't believe shell rot comes from high humidity , rather sitting too long on wet substrata w/0 drying out.

If I see any injury to plastron ( anywhere for that matter ) like a poke or scrap , I've flushed & cleaned it and applied triple anti biotic cream. Only had a couple of occasions & gone in several days.

nightoff

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Florida
I think it takes some time. I had her on the side of the house where she would get early sun but not blazing all day in the summer. I had a sprayer set to water every morning. I think the enclosure wasn't drying out enough during the day. I guess the mushrooms on the mulch was a clue. I will move her enclosure to be in the sun all day, now that it is cooler. I have her inside now because of all the rain.

AnimalLady

I have a Redfoot outside in So Florida too. I check about every other day - or when I pick her up.

Shell rot does not appear overnight with real damage. It takes a bit of time. The problem is it is easy to miss if you don't look often and see changes early. The spots are however , often very small - red or black - and unfortunate it can be rotting under the shell and cover area you can't see. This is true of caprice also.

In the rainy season here , I wipe on some Lamasil about once / month just on the plastron. Just a preventative to fungus. I do this to all my torts except the Boxies. May not really help - but doesn't hurt IMO.

I also have a varied terrain in her enclosure with little hills that dry out even after a pouring rain. She walks up on these and Suns / drys.

Her inside enclosure for winter is damp only on about 1/2. The other side I never wet.
I don't believe shell rot comes from high humidity , rather sitting too long on wet substrata w/0 drying out.

If I see any injury to plastron ( anywhere for that matter ) like a poke or scrap , I've flushed & cleaned it and applied triple anti biotic cream. Only had a couple of occasions & gone in several days.
Thanks Mike! I think i'll do as you do... apply a little bit once a month for prevention. Can I use the cheapy fungal cream? Or must it be the one you specify? I only ask because I think I have the cheapy stuff on hand.