Denver Post article on ornate box turtle study

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
From The Denver Post (7/29/2012):

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_21182818/colorados-first-ever-box-turtle-study-seeks-lifestyle

Colorado's first-ever box turtle study seeks lifestyle information

by Dan England (The Greeley Tribune)

GREELEY — Armed with an antenna and the confidence that comes from traversing the same piece of land over and over, Graham Dawson glides like a coyote along hills covered in sandy soil and scrubby plants on a Kersey ranch.

Dawson, a biology student at Skidmore College in New York, and two other interns were on the prowl Monday morning for Chloe, one of 10 ornate box turtles being tracked by the Colorado Reptile Humane Society of Longmont as part of a study in its fifth year. All of the turtles carry transmitters and have three-letter names such as JLX, but they've grown attached to KLO and renamed her Chloe. Jason Martin, one of the three interns who attends Colorado State University, calls her his favorite.

The box turtle study is the first of its kind in Colorado, and the goal isn't surprising: It's to learn about their Colorado lifestyle, including what they eat and when they mate, given that Colorado's climate is much different than, say, Nebraska, where other studies have taken place. But it's also confirmation of what they've already known, including just how far a box turtle travels in its lifetime.

Go ahead and snicker. Ann Elizabeth-Nash, the longtime director of the reptile shelter, laughs, too, especially when the box turtles try to make a getaway after they've been spotted, as if they were going to outrun the staff. But it's a serious issue, especially lately, because box turtles stay in one place their whole lives, maybe moving as far as five football fields from one place to the next. And that's caused problems for the shelter.

The shelter recently took in its second stray box turtle from the Greeley area in the past couple of weeks. Elizabeth-Nash's theory, one bolstered by the study, is that residents are saving the turtles from highways in Nebraska, Kansas or even around Kersey, putting them in a box and bringing them back to Greeley, where they set them free, probably next to a lake or a pond.

Their intentions are good, Elizabeth-Nash said, but that's a disaster for the turtle. Box turtles don't live near ponds, so they find it hard to survive. It also leaves them open to disease, because they're in a new place. And because turtles stay in one place, they try their best to get back to it, even if home is hundreds of miles away. It's a forced migration, usually with bad consequences: More than half of the turtles moved from their homes don't survive.
"It's a death march," she said.

Box turtles aren't endangered, but it's not like there are millions of them around. Turtles can live to be 60-80 years old, and a mature turtle that is lucky to live that long produces, on average, only two turtles that can produce their own offspring. The rest die of disease or the elements or, as the scuffs on their shells can attest, predators such as coyotes get them (those shells only work some of the time).

Chloe disappeared for a while, bumming out the group of interns, but they recently found her again, resting in a pool of water by the ranch's windmill, with the help of the transmitter attached to her shell. Elizabeth-Nash would like to study more than 10 turtles, but the transmitters are $150 a pop.
Dawson motioned for the crew to start searching around a large bush. "Turtle!" shouted Caitlin Wilhelm, who has the eye of a kid hunting for Easter eggs in tall grass.

"Hi, Chloe," Dawson said.

Finding Chloe or Hotwax, another favorite, is always fun, but the interns love it when they see a new turtle on the Kersey ranch owned by Jarred Sater, who didn't want to be interviewed for this story.

Elizabeth-Nash cheered when one of the three, this time Martin, yelled out, "Turtle!" and confirmed it was a new one. The interns do the work, so she rarely gets out of the office, and seeing a new turtle is a treat, even if they've found 120 females in the five years of study. As a director, it's her job to raise funds, not go turtle hunting, even though the latter is much more fun.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks for posting this, Geo.
When you're out of grad school, what sort of biologist job are you going to be looking for? Just curious. One of our buddies here is a BLM biologist. He spends early mornings in the early spring doing sage grouse counts. I have no idea what he does for the rest of the year.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I always figured transmitters would be much more then $150.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Edna said:
Thanks for posting this, Geo.
When you're out of grad school, what sort of biologist job are you going to be looking for? Just curious. One of our buddies here is a BLM biologist. He spends early mornings in the early spring doing sage grouse counts. I have no idea what he does for the rest of the year.

As much as I love turtles, I see them more as something I pursue in my free time. My thesis is on bison and their symbiotic bacteria. I was thinking of becoming either a college instructor, or else a researcher with the USGS or USDA-APHIS. I'd like to help work toward a balance between ranching and conservation. :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
GeoTerraTestudo said:
My thesis is on bison and their symbiotic bacteria. I was thinking of becoming either a college instructor, or else a researcher with the USGS or USDA-APHIS. I'd like to help work toward a balance between ranching and conservation. :)

Symbiotic bacteria as in saliva making the grass grow better?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Edna said:
Symbiotic bacteria as in saliva making the grass grow better?

It's the symbiotic bacteria in the intestinal tract, which help bison break down vegetation so they can digest it.

Actually, all herbivores - whether it's tortoises, bison, cattle, whatever - need symbiotic bacteria. Without them, the fibers in the plants would pass right through without getting digested, and the animal would starve. This is why herbivores have such long intestines with pouches in them. They act like reaction vats and let the bacteria do their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.