Diet for Russian Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
I'm getting a Russian Tortoise soon (I've posted in some other categories as well) and I just wanted to know what kind of food Russian Torts eat. I know they like greens. But I need to know an exact diet to follow and how often to feed the little guy. I'll be getting my tortoise from Petsmart. In the very nice part of town. There's no where else for me to really get a Russian Tort. There probably won't be another reptile expo thing for a year and that'll cost more money than it's worth. So Petsmart is really my only option because I refuse to buy a tortoise from Petco, online, or some other sketchy pet place. But it's probably about 4 inches I'm guessing.

beccayauyau

5 Year Member
Hello, I have a Russian tortoise :) I only just got her 3 months ago! Her diet consists of grocery greens, Rose petals, dandelions, weeds etc. You just need to be feeding a variety. I also feed her some tortoise pellets occasionally! She loves the pellets :) have fun with your new tortoise!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Russian wise pet smart is no better than petco IMHO. make sure you get a vet visit for a fecal check when you get it.
As for diet here is a list of what I feed my 3 russians.
Grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, radish tops, artichoke leaves, mulberry leaves, various squash leaves and flowers, strawberry tops, and dandelion leaves and flowers

I would like to add that grape leaves are a big hit among my russians.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Russian wise pet smart is no better than petco IMHO. make sure you get a vet visit for a fecal check when you get it.
As for diet here is a list of what I feed my 3 russians.
Grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, radish tops, artichoke leaves, mulberry leaves, various squash leaves and flowers, strawberry tops, and dandelion leaves and flowers

I would like to add that grape leaves are a big hit among my russians.

Exactly how much will the vet visit cost?

And thanks for all the info you guys!

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
Here are a few links!
They will all show different husbandry and care....find your way in the middle or find whats suits you best,
hope this helps.

http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

http://russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

http://www.turtlerescues.com/russian_tortoise_care.htm

theyr'e is probably better sites but this is straight from google....and quick copy 'n' pasted!

I just read on that last website you listed that you can't use coil UVB lights??? .....what else is there?

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I dont use UVB as i have a redfoot....
But....i know that.....a coil can mess up there eyes and cause temporary blindness?
I think people use tube lights or MVB's
MVB= Heat & UVB Together!
Sorry.

kirbybirby

5 Year Member
tyler0912 said:
I dont use UVB as i have a redfoot....
But....i know that.....a coil can mess up there eyes and cause temporary blindness?
I think people use tube lights or MVB's
MVB= Heat & UVB Together!
Sorry.

Would this be okay then? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQDJK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I also just realized that bulb is a UVA, UVB AND heat bulb all in one. Hopefully I can take back my other two lights... I got them for my two red sliders that I am now getting rid of so I won't need them. I just really hope I can take them back or sell them...

Status
Not open for further replies.