Digital timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have the dial type timers on my lights, but it has been suggested that digital timers are better/more reliable. May I ask which digital timers members have had good results with?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use one from Home Depot. I couldn't find it on their web site to post for you. So hopefully me description will be good. It's black, double row of four outlets each row. One row works on a timer, the other row stays on. Each day is set. Has a battery backup and a few other timer options, like random on/off. I have two of them. One for torts, one for my Uro and frogs. Cost is 20-25. Had them for year and a half. So far so good. I really like them.

KBisMe

5 Year Member
Maricopa, AZ
wellington said:
I use one from Home Depot. I couldn't find it on their web site to post for you. So hopefully me description will be good. It's black, double row of four outlets each row. One row works on a timer, the other row stays on. Each day is set. Has a battery backup and a few other timer options, like random on/off. I have two of them. One for torts, one for my Uro and frogs. Cost is 20-25. Had them for year and a half. So far so good. I really like them.

Is it this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=10053&langId=-1&keyword=timer&storeId=10051

I'm looking for one too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
KBisMe said:
wellington said:

Is it this one?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...d=10053&langId=-1&keyword=timer&storeId=10051

I'm looking for one too.

Yes, thank you. That is the one.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Definitely get one with a battery, that way you don't have to reprogram after a power outage. But the digital are so much better than the dial type.

Probably not helpful (since it's hard wired), but I use these. There are plug in versions that are comparable.

EKLC

5 Year Member
What problems have you had with the mechanical ones? Other than offering more precision on on-off times, I don't see what the benefit would be

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
We have the Zilla 24/7 digital timer (available at pet stores and on eBay), and except for the initial programming being kind of complicated, we love it. We have 3 different tort set-ups with some things on all day, some all night, some all the time. The different programs and outlets allow for this, and I don't have to switch on anything by hand.

Before that we had a cheap quality dial type. It worked ok just for on/off of lights, but it wasn't very accurate, so every week we had to adjust the time.

EKLC said:
What problems have you had with the mechanical ones? Other than offering more precision on on-off times, I don't see what the benefit would be

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use a couple of those same digital timers for a few enclosures outside of my tortoise room. They work flawlessly. The biggest advantage of those particular digital timers over mechanical is that during a power interuption or outage, they hold their preset times via an internal battery back up. When the power comes back on they are back to normal without having to reprogram or reset them. When the power goes out with a mechanical timer the timer stops. However long the power is off is how long the timer will be off when the power comes back on. The digital timers have the advantage of being able to have multiple settings each day of the week if desired as well as having multiple power receptacles split for daytime, night time and 24/7 power. No mechanical timers have that advantage.

The digital timers sold under reptile supply company names are the exact same ones sold in the big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) for less money.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
EKLC said:

The problem I have had with several of the dial type is that the internal mechanics (gears?) would break or freeze so the dial would stop rotating. I've since changed all of my timers to digital and have not had any issues at all. Like GB said, another advantage is in the event of a power loss, the digital type usually have a battery back up so you won't have to re-calibrate after a short power outage.

Status
Not open for further replies.