Dinosaur in the house

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
People sometimes ask me why I have such a weird pet (a tortoise). I like to tell them that I love the idea of having an actual dinosaur in my home.

1380509_648274248546213_705305874_n.jpg

kball

Every one tells me I'm weird for wanting tortoises for pets. I just tell them there nuts for not. That pic is so cute. Lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they only knew what they were missing out on, they would change their tune. Their loss, not ours:D

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Lol, the tort looks like "YEAHHHHH that ME!!!!!" Like a boss!

Very cute!

Joey

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Nice photo. I've seen these "tortoise cozies" before, there are lots of different variations. Shark fins, flowers, even a Christmas tree.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I'd like to point out that they aren't any good for your tortoises. First, the cozies destroy their camouflage and might impede their movement. Second, tortoises are ectotherms (cold-blooded)... clothes and fur trap a layer of air around an animal. Air is a bad conductor of heat and this therefore insulates the animal's body from the environment. That's great if the animal in question produces its own body heat. But tortoises don't, thus clothing actually makes it harder for them to warm up!

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Nice photo. I've seen these "tortoise cozies" before, there are lots of different variations. Shark fins, flowers, even a Christmas tree.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but I'd like to point out that they aren't any good for your tortoises. First, the cozies destroy their camouflage and might impede their movement. Second, tortoises are ectotherms (cold-blooded)... clothes and fur trap a layer of air around an animal. Air is a bad conductor of heat and this therefore insulates the animal's body from the environment. That's great if the animal in question produces its own body heat. But tortoises don't, thus clothing actually makes it harder for them to warm up!

And you're right of course, but for a funny picture moment of a few minutes it's a hoot:)

Joey

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I can connect to the dinosaur comment.
There is something special in making contact (on some level/plane) with an species that has walked this earth for untold millennium.:tort:

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
I can just sit and watch them move about, and feel priveledged that they are letting me!

ginamarie89

I agree! We have 2 baby Greeks, 4 red eared sliders, 2 diamond back terrapins and a common snapper. And especially with the snapper, it's all about that Dino love :)

Gina Marie

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My friends usually don't get it. But when I start explaining all different things about tortoises and how they live, adapt to things etc, they are a little more interested. It annoys me how people refer to them as turtles and think they swim, and then there's me trying to explain a turtle and tortoise are different things! Very different! Arghh!

ginamarie89

My friends usually don't get it. But when I start explaining all different things about tortoises and how they live, adapt to things etc, they are a little more interested. It annoys me how people refer to them as turtles and think they swim, and then there's me trying to explain a turtle and tortoise are different things! Very different! Arghh!

I have the same problem... Haha

Gina Marie

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It annoys me how people refer to them as turtles and think they swim, and then there's me trying to explain a turtle and tortoise are different things! Very different! Arghh!
Well, tortoises are turtles (scientifically), and they can also swim, albeit not as well as their aquatic cousins. So, they aren't that different. ;)

(Yes, I'm aware of the differences between tortoises and [aquatic] turtles, but there are regional differences and the English language is pretty unique in its distinction there. Many languages have just one word for all shelled reptiles and add land/water/sea if there's a need to be more precise.)