Juvenile sulcata climbing ability

TrebleReverie

Location (City and/or State)
West Palm Beach, FL
Hi. I haven't posted my introduction yet, but I will when I'm able.. I'm curious about a juvenile (6.5" carapace) sulcata's ability to climb. I found it about a month ago and have been on this site daily since. I have come across many threads involving tortoises trying to climb for whatever reason, but no information on their actual ability. Would it be physically possible for it to climb a 16" tall, flat cinderblock wall? I ask because it was inside one of the block holes when I got home today, and I can't fathom how it would've managed to pull that off on its own.. I really don't want to believe that someone came onto my gated property and messed with it..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I haven't posted my introduction yet, but I will when I'm able.. I'm curious about a juvenile (6.5" carapace) sulcata's ability to climb. I found it about a month ago and have been on this site daily since. I have come across many threads involving tortoises trying to climb for whatever reason, but no information on their actual ability. Would it be physically possible for it to climb a 16" tall, flat cinderblock wall? I ask because it was inside one of the block holes when I got home today, and I can't fathom how it would've managed to pull that off on its own.. I really don't want to believe that someone came onto my gated property and messed with it..
They are not the best climbers compared to some other tort species, but they can certainly climb if the footholds are there. I do not think they could climb vertical cinderblocks. I've housed many behind blocks and never had one climb out ever. I know of many other people who also use block, and none of theirs climb out either.

Some smaller species, notably Russians, can climb in the corners, and that is why we all say to cap the corners, but I've never seen a sulcata do that.

I've had big ones learn to push the wall over, but not climb it.

TrebleReverie

West Palm Beach, FL
They are not the best climbers compared to some other tort species, but they can certainly climb if the footholds are there. I do not think they could climb vertical cinderblocks. I've housed many behind blocks and never had one climb out ever. I know of many other people who also use block, and none of theirs climb out either.

Some smaller species, notably Russians, can climb in the corners, and that is why we all say to cap the corners, but I've never seen a sulcata do that.

I've had big ones learn to push the wall over, but not climb it.
Thank you @Tom . I thought so.. It (unsure of gender at this time) was in the very center hole of the wall, so no corners involved. I was kind of hoping they were somehow secret ninjas because the alternative has me nauseated..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you @Tom . I thought so.. It (unsure of gender at this time) was in the very center hole of the wall, so no corners involved. I was kind of hoping they were somehow secret ninjas because the alternative has me nauseated..
Yeah... I'm pretty sure Russian tortoises can levitate when people aren't looking, but not sulcatas.

Time for some security cameras.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Any chance the blocks have any sort of edge, grove or cracks?

I had a tiny overlap of brinks and Optimus Prime was able to get just enough of a grip to stand himself up. He flipped himself over. I was standing there watching it and quickly turned him back and adjusted the bricks.

TrebleReverie

West Palm Beach, FL
Any chance the blocks have any sort of edge, grove or cracks?

I had a tiny overlap of brinks and Optimus Prime was able to get just enough of a grip to stand himself up. He flipped himself over. I was standing there watching it and quickly turned him back and adjusted the bricks.
First, love the names you chose lol
Second, I've seen it do essentially the same, but once it reached the halfway mark and was vertical, it flipped. I feel it would be a bonafide miracle if it managed to get itself completely up the wall and butt-first down the hole on the other side, all without a mark beyond concrete residue.