Dirt for seeds?

Dragon Ryder

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
The grazing tortoise seed i just bought arrived, and i'm going to go buy a florescent light and dirt. The only thing is i dont know what dirt to get because stores put chemicals in some. So does anyone know of any sites or stores i could order it from, or if dirt from my backyard would work for growing the seeds?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My local lowes sell a bag of no chemical super soil is what I believe it is called.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You can use some thinky spread sphagnum peat moss, and/or even the coconut coir that you possibly already have as substrate. Put some of this substrate down, sprinkle seeds, lightly sprinkle more substrate over your seeds, mist wet, keep covered (saran wrap or lid) keep slightly warm.

Its best to not use regular garden soil to start seedlings for lots of reasons. Good luck!

Dragon Ryder

Ohio
I tried to use the coco coir for my tortoise but whenever i sprayed water on it, it would stick to his neck and face. And one morning i woke up and he couldn't even open his eyes because they were covered in the substrate. Does that happen to you guys who use it also?