Do bubbles always mean respiratory infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi guys...

Gotta question for ya.

I was doing my normal morning Dash watching when from out-of-the-blue some bubbles come out of his nose. Also, he would open his mouth real wide (kinda like a yawn) and there were a couple of "cheep" noises thrown in, too.

Now, I know what that normally means (RI), but could it be something else? Dash seems to be doing great! Eating...no problem. Active...no problem. Pooping...no problem.

His enclosure hasn't gone any lower than 75. I keep his substrate dry save for a humid hide box. And I mist him about 3-4 times a day.

Just wanting to know what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It can be an ri,
However if you wash him and on accident
Get water in his nose it will bubble out
From them pushing out the water!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tyler:

Normally I would say not to worry, but because it was accompanied with the open mouth and gasping, I'd have to say it very well could be.

But first of all, check the nares and be sure they're not plugged up.

The tortoise's nostrils end up in the roof of the tortoise's mouth, not down the throat and into the lungs. So sometimes what's in the mouth comes out the nose.

Also, if the substrate is real dry it might cause bubbles or runny eyes.

There are many things that cause bubbles. Let's hope he's not sick.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
Thanks for the response Vyonne.

His substrate is completely dry. I haven't sprayed it. I just have a humid hide box that stays damp.

Should I keep the substrate moist as well?

I know you need to when you keep the temps up, but do you recommend it when the cool side temp is 75?

Thanks

emysemys said:
Hi Tyler:

Normally I would say not to worry, but because it was accompanied with the open mouth and gasping, I'd have to say it very well could be.

But first of all, check the nares and be sure they're not plugged up.

The tortoise's nostrils end up in the roof of the tortoise's mouth, not down the throat and into the lungs. So sometimes what's in the mouth comes out the nose.

Also, if the substrate is real dry it might cause bubbles or runny eyes.

There are many things that cause bubbles. Let's hope he's not sick.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Warm him up to 85 around the clock with his basking spot around 110 for 12 hours a day. Do this for the next two or three weeks. This will help him kick it. He may have gotten a chill during shipping.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's the open mouthed gasping that tells you he can't breathe and is gasping for air. That makes it an URTI for sure. I'd moisten his substrate and get him on antibiotics as well as what Tom suggests. With all the humidity, humid hides and moistened substrates it's super important to keep the temps up.

After he kicks this and you still have a dry substrate he may exhibit bubbles from the dry substrate but he wouldn't have any open mouthed gaping then.

Status
Not open for further replies.