Does my Russian tort need her nails trimmed ?

Chasetort

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
IMG_2475.jpegIMG_2474.jpeg
Hello everyone I have a 4 maybe 5 year old Russian tortious and I have never clipped her nails. Do you guys think she is ready for a trim?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. The beak and nails should not overgrow like that. When they do it indicates a problem. Usually it is diet, calcium, and UV related when we see this.

Your tortoise does need a beak and nail trim, but please review this info so you can correct this problem and prevent it from happening again:

I'm glad you found us and decided to join, and your tortoise will be too! Questions are welcome.

Chasetort

Illinois
Hello and welcome. The beak and nails should not overgrow like that. When they do it indicates a problem. Usually it is diet, calcium, and UV related when we see this.

Your tortoise does need a beak and nail trim, but please review this info so you can correct this problem and prevent it from happening again:

I'm glad you found us and decided to join, and your tortoise will be too! Questions are welcome.
Hey Tom thank you so much,I’ve been doing sooo much research on my tort to make sure she has a happy life. I feel really horrible, for awhile I didn’t pay much attention to her, besides feed her everyday. Now I want to show her how much I really care for her. If I start doing better for her will I see progress? It’s never to late right? Also can I clip her nails little by little myself? I definitely don’t want to mess around with her beak so I will take her to a professional with that. But could I clip them a bit? And one last thing, by the two pictures does she look healthy? Or can you not tell?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom thank you so much,I’ve been doing sooo much research on my tort to make sure she has a happy life. I feel really horrible, for awhile I didn’t pay much attention to her, besides feed her everyday. Now I want to show her how much I really care for her. If I start doing better for her will I see progress? It’s never to late right? Also can I clip her nails little by little myself? I definitely don’t want to mess around with her beak so I will take her to a professional with that. But could I clip them a bit? And one last thing, by the two pictures does she look healthy? Or can you not tell?
"Research" leads to so much confusion because there is so much wrong and contradictory info out there. Get your info from this site. It is the best, most current info that I've ever found. We are constantly learning, experimenting, and sharing results and info here, so the info evolves and gets even better over time. Other info sources just keep repeating the same old wrong info. Its maddening.

There is no way to tell how healthy a tortoise is from a picture. Sometimes we can see indications of some problems, but more can be told by how the tooritse is being fed, housed and cared for than from a picture. Follow that care sheet, get the correct heating, lighting, UV, and diet, and things should improve. Also try to make a large escape proof outdoor enclosure for the warmer months too. Feel free to ask lots of questions too. You are welcome here, and our goal is to help you and your tortoise.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi
As you have never trimmed I recommend going professional either vet or local reptile shop with a capable expert. Get both beak and claws checkwd and done and monitor annually. FYI there is blood in the claws which you can see if you use a flashlight behind the trim is near and not beyond the blood!