Doris and Boris..size

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
View attachment 31700I don't have a lot of info on my two new russian tortoises, as in age mostly. The larger one is Doris, she is quite a lot bigger than Boris. Can you get a rough idea of age from this picture of them? thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They look to be ALMOST full grown. I'd say the smaller one is around 10 years and the bigger one a bit older than that.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
the big one is 6 inches from front and end of shell with a measuring tape laying beside her. the other one is 4 inches.
Do you go completely by size or are there other indicators of age?

emysemys said:
They look to be ALMOST full grown. I'd say the smaller one is around 10 years and the bigger one a bit older than that.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Unless you know the exact date (or at least year) a captive-bred tort hatched, it is almost impossible to determine age. Most RTs in the pet trade are wild-caught, so it is hard to know how old they are - it depends on how much food was available and how healthy they were, and so many other factors.
They both still have clearly visible growth rings, so they are still in a rapid growth phase of their lives. Tortoises grow all their life, but slow down significantly.
Do you have a pic of their faces? That can also help give an idea of at least what decade of life they are currently in. :)

shelloise said:
the big one is 6 inches from front and end of shell with a measuring tape laying beside her. the other one is 4 inches.
Do you go completely by size or are there other indicators of age?

emysemys said:

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
HI, sorry, I had subscribed to the thread but not of the subscriptions have come through to my mail the last while, no clue why not.

I don't have a face pic but will get one

Status
Not open for further replies.