Dorm Tort - Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsdoc

5 Year Member
I would like to get a pet that I could take to the dorm (the place I'm going allows pets except dogs, cats and snakes) and I'm thinking I'd like to get a redfoot. I really like the looks of them and I've done quite a bit of research. I'm going to be space-limited for a couple years so I'm thinking of doing a rubbermaid setup like I saw on www.redfoots.com
Any ideas and/or opinions? I really want an animal friend to keep me company and let me take a break from studies!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you found both us and redfoots.com.

I like your idea, however, a pet is a long-term commitment. What will you do for school breaks? Holidays? Summer? What about after college when you are moving? It's tough to move cross-country with a pet. It would limit some of your choices. Can you count on always having the space, time, and money? I think this would be cool if you were still close to parents so you could drive with the tort, but otherwise this plan seems complicated. Your likely roommate may also not like the idea of that much space being taken up by the tort enclosure. They don't stay small very long, and need larger and larger enclosures. The enclosure would be at least as large as a trunk at some point. Do you realize how large they eventually get? Up to 18 inches.

I wanted a tort so badly growing up. I waited until after college and when I had my own place. I knew I had enough money for the purchase, setup, vet bills (I've spent about $1,000 in the last 10 months on him!). I have plans for vacations (who will watch him). I have money saved for vet bills and know how much I would be willing to spend. I know that I will need to have the space indoors and out for him for the next 50-100 years! My kids have better like him because they will be getting him when I am too old. lol

Please think about this more in detail. A tort is even a bigger commitment than a cat or dog. Four years isn't too long to wait.

kelsdoc

5 Year Member
I'm starting out at a community college in town and close to my parents. I really don't travel or anything that often. I realize things come up though, so my parents would be willing to take care of the little guy while I'm away. The girl I'm going to be rooming with has no problem with reptiles - she's always had lizards and snakes and such.

I've got a steady job so money shouldn't be a big issue. Right now I'm working with computers for the school district but my eventual goal is aquatic veterinarian. A lot of school but worth it to me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I'd start out with a Russian. Much smaller and easier care requirements.. or a parakeet. But you may need quite.. look into russian torts..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
That's a little different than I would have imagined. Sounds do-able, but I would think long and hard about the commitment. Redfoots take a lot of care as they have humidity requirements. What are you doing after the community college?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
What a wonderful goal you've set for yourself. I wish you luck with that. Good luck with picking a pet too.....How about a water Turtle, since you will be looking toward being an aquatic veterinarian.

kelsdoc

5 Year Member
After 2 years at the college here, I'd like to go to Hawaii (I'm in Wyoming now, bleh) and get some experience working with a vet down there. After that, vet school, and after that, work.

Hibernation is something that's been keeping me away from the other kinds of tortoises at this point. It's just not really something I'd like to attempt or get a little guy that needs to hibernate.

Also, living in Wyoming the expenses of other tortoises get quite a bit higher because I'd have to order it in. We have a local pet store that raised some redfoots from hatchling and are about 5" or so long at this point, and readily available should I so choose.

I had planned on growing the container as the tort grew, and I've really taken to the redfoots. But any honest opinions would be greatly appreciated. I want something to care for. I don't want to get something and then not be able to make it happy, you know?

I'm not committed to anything right now, everything is still kind of up in the air. Thanks for any input!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I think a russian tort is a good choice also. You do not have to hibernate them. In my opinion, they are one of the easiest torts to care for. They stay on the smaller side and have fun personalities. You should check them out. I think one would be ideal for your situation.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If you want to stick with Red-foots, I'm with you! I personally am not a fan of Russians as pets for several reasons that I shan't bring up unless specifically asked. Greeks and Hermanns are great as options however, and hibernation is not a big deal for them to skip.

As for the Red-foot. The biggest two issues for you to deal with are:

1. Space. The tub will be fine for a year or three, but an adult Red-foot should end up in about a 8'x4' pen. The guideline I use is 8 tortoise lengths by 4 tortoise lengths for the first tort, double it for #2, and add another length in both directions for up to 5. (This is a simplified version of the German laws for keeping tortoises from what I can tell.) (One benefit of the Greek/Hermann's is that their adult size is a lot smaller- 8-9" compared to about 12".)

In the dorm, you can add some space by taking another tub, tape the lid on and turn it upside down, butt it up to the first tub and add a tunnel. The upside down tub will act as the hiding place. Fill it with loose, dampened, gently warmed moss to hide in. You can also add a 2nd level or something else if you want.

2. Humidity. The warmth is fairly easy, but good humidity can be tough, especially if the room air is typically dry. Wetting the substrate is a common answer, but if it results in cold, wet stuff, then it is not going to be as good.

If you can warm the floor of the tub gently, then the warm, dampened substrate will do the job nicely. A warm vapor humidifier works nicely- you can use flexible tubing to direct the output to the hiding place or a similar spot, and timers to keep it from running all day.

Another answer can be to just put a strong, completely non-tippable container of water in the habitat, put a water heater in it to heat it just a little warmer than the air around it, and let it create its own vapor. Adding a bubbler will help. In big habitats, some people just set up a tropical fish tank for humidity!

You can do the misting bit and the covering bit- but I find that if you are not careful, you get stale, nasty air and cold, wet substrates. Warm and humid is good, cold and clammy is not.

kelsdoc

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for all the good advice!

It's been really helpful in deciding what I want to do!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
A simple solution for keeping a Redfoot in a humid enclosure, is to put a lot of plants in a vivarium. When you water the plants, and mist them, the enclosure stays humid. I have no idea where you could fit a large vivarium in a dorm though. You would need a heat source (heat emitter) on one side and a light on the other side of the viv.

kelsdoc

5 Year Member
That's what I'm thinking about doing, putting in live plants. I'm thinking I can mess around with the tub lid and such to try and get proper ventilation and humidity levels. We're building the tub tonight before getting the tort - I want to have everything set up and stable first.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep my Redfoot in a planted vivarium. I have no trouble with humidity. But where would it fit in your dorm? I went to visit my son in college up state and I can't imagine another thing fitting in his dorm. lol
009-5.jpg

024-2.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Also.. if you pan too spend time in Hawaii... do you plan to take the tort with you? they are very strict on animals entering there.. you might need a quarantine or not be allowed to bring it with you. have a back up plan!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Also don't eliminate other species just on ease of getting them. They can ship tortoises overnight for under $70. Wouldn't be surprised if you could get one from a breeder plus shipping for the same as a local redfoot. Cost shouldn't be a concern anyways because you will need hundred and hundred of dollars for the set up, vet bill, and savings for emergency care in addition to recurring expenses such as food, bulbs (they are a lot more than household bulbs), yearly vet visit and fecal, supplements, any medications for parasites and such, substrate, and replacement supplies for the enclosure. Plus new enclosures as you said. Quite a challenge you have!

Status
Not open for further replies.