Dragging wound on shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laurenh

5 Year Member
I have what people have described as a MBD hermanns, she had an underbite which is so much better now, she also drags herself (doesnt walk off the ground) she zooms about though and eats very well. We got her about 6 months ago, she is an 09 baby. Whilst giver her a soak, I noticed these 'cuts' on her. Can anyone help?? I know her dragging has caused this but why?

Lauren

Attachments

• 1379750485506.jpg
    1379750485506.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 1379750498595.jpg
    1379750498595.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 82

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
laurenh said:
I have what people have described as a MBD hermanns, she had an underbite which is so much better now, she also drags herself (doesnt walk off the ground) she zooms about though and eats very well. We got her about 6 months ago, she is an 09 baby. Whilst giver her a soak, I noticed these 'cuts' on her. Can anyone help?? I know her dragging has caused this but why?

Lauren

Hi, Lauren. I'm not sure what an MBD Hermanns is. But do you mean the scrapes? It's probably wearing off from rubbing against the surfaces on which she drags herself.

Can you take a picture of her enclosure and tell us about the substrate: what kind, how deep, etc? Tks.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

laurenh

5 Year Member
Metabolic Bone Disease. She is in a tortoise table table with topsoil, has spent every good day of summer in the UK outside. How can I help it heal and why is it like a cut?
Lauren

Also the soil is about 3inches deep. Whrn shes been outside she has been on grass dirt and concrete

Lauren

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Are you giving the tortoise extra calcium? I have a aldabran tortoise that drags rather than getting up on all fours to actually walk. I give him tidbits of fruit off a skewer that contain human calcium tablets. When I first noticed he had a problem, was about 2 years ago. Now, after two years of extra calcium, I'm finally starting to see a tiny bit of difference in the strength in his legs.

If you're worried about the scrapes on the underside of the shell, maybe you can add a little masking tape over those sections for protection.

laurenh

5 Year Member
I have masking tape so will do that! Also yes she has calcium on her food....so should I giver her more than my others?? Didnt want to overdose them!

Lauren

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can't overdose on calcium. The excess just goes out in the pee. But you CAN overdose on vitamin d, so you want to use the calcium without the d.

Status
Not open for further replies.