Eastern Box Turtle hibernation question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
So I decided against getting a tortoise that I would have to keep indoors. I came up with an idea. I'm going to start a small organization for taking rescued Easter Box turtles here in New York. I'm going to build a monster outdoor habitat for them, aiming for at least 1600 square feet. Apply for a license from the DEC, the whole 9 yards. I want to have a completely natural environment for them so I will have them hibernating. My questions: Suppose I got a hatchling or really young box turt that was unable to stay outside year round. Would I be able to raise him indoors a few years and then introduce him outside? Is this possible? Is it possible to take an older box turtle rescue that has been indoors for 8 years and then introduce him outside again? Hibernation and all? If anyone knows of any similar type organizations for the eastern box turtle let me know. thanks for all the info on here, good stuff.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Where are you in NY? I'm also in NY and I have a turtle garden. I never took in any eggs, but would often find a few babies in the old garden a few years back (this is a new garden now) I keep the hatchlings inside in a planted vivarium for at least two or three years and then I would put them outside for good in the turtle garden. Now my garden is much smaller, but I have about 8 turtles in there and 4 hatchlings inside. The boxies that are outside hibernate each Winter. In the Summer I make a planted Christmas tree storage bin for the babies and they stay out for the Summer. I've gotten a few rescues from Julie at the Turtle Rescue of Long Island. I also have a license to own and sell. (I never sell any though).

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Where are you in NY? I'm also in NY and I have a turtle garden. I never took in any eggs, but would often find a few babies in the old garden a few years back (this is a new garden now) I keep the hatchlings inside in a planted vivarium for at least two or three years and then I would put them outside for good in the turtle garden. Now my garden is much smaller, but I have about 8 turtles in there and 4 hatchlings inside. The boxies that are outside hibernate each Winter. In the Summer I make a planted Christmas tree storage bin for the babies and they stay out for the Summer. I've gotten a few rescues from Julie at the Turtle Rescue of Long Island. I also have a license to own and sell. (I never sell any though).

Thanks for the response Terryo I appreciate it. It seems we have similar thoughts/goals with these box turtles. I have checked out that Long Island rescue a few times and will definitely get in touch with them....and I have read a bunch of your posts. You kind of didn't answer some of my questions!! but its ok, we'll get back to that. I'm located in Newburgh NY. Which is like an hour north of NYC. I have the property and resources to do this. I only have about 6 acres of land but it will do, I have alot of land I'm not using. The only sucky part is, is I'de have to put a chicken wire top on the habitat due to the predators in my area but it can be done. I started thinking about this because I haven't seen a Box Turtle in 20 years in the wild. There is so much land destruction in my area, it's becoming the new NYC. I want to do something to help. I was also thinking about trying to breed and releasing some into the wild but I don't know if that would be possible.....It would be nice to know your thoughts....Much appreciated!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think it's a great idea. You should call Julie Maguire at the TROLI. I know she releases some after they are rehabilitated. You should find out where a good place to release them is. We've seen some Eastern's here, but each year there are less and less. We have some wooded area's that are protected here and that is probably where I will release some when the time comes. But I'll ask Julie about this before I do anything, since I've never done this before and don't know a thing about it.
This is another rescue that I know of.
http://www.savetheanimalsrescue.org/
You really should apply for your license. I know there is no rescue that will give you any boxies if you don't have a NY license.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have let box turtles that have been kept inside for years go back to hibernating the natural way outside many times over the years, the longest kept indoors that I know for sure was a male that was inside for 7 years. I had him outside for 4 years, but the people that have him now have him inside for the winter, he seems to do fine with either way. As for the youngsters if you have them long enough to make sure they are healthy enough to survive the winter and do their natural things to get ready for hibernation there is no reason not to let them do it naturally outside, but if you get them later in the season and are not sure of their past health and eating habits, I would keep them inside for the winter. Good Luck With Your New Adventure.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
terryo said:
I think it's a great idea. You should call Julie Maguire at the TROLI. I know she releases some after they are rehabilitated. You should find out where a good place to release them is. We've seen some Eastern's here, but each year there are less and less. We have some wooded area's that are protected here and that is probably where I will release some when the time comes. But I'll ask Julie about this before I do anything, since I've never done this before and don't know a thing about it.
This is another rescue that I know of.
http://www.savetheanimalsrescue.org/
You really should apply for your license. I know there is no rescue that will give you any boxies if you don't have a NY license.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I printed out the license application a couple days ago. Is it hard to get?

Also, thank you Turtlelous for the response..

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
It cost $10 for the year. I just filled out the application and got the license. Now I changed it "to possess and sell", because mine are starting to breed. I had a garden and box turtles for 30 years without a license, and then I had to re-home all of them for personal reasons. A few years ago I started getting boxies again, and they were mostly juveniles, but now they're starting to mate and that's why I changed the license.
If you want a license to rescue and rehabilitate, that's different. You'd have to ask Julie M. about that one. I think it's a lot harder to get.

Bruuuuce78

5 Year Member
terryo said:
It cost $10 for the year. I just filled out the application and got the license. Now I changed it "to possess and sell", because mine are starting to breed. I had a garden and box turtles for 30 years without a license, and then I had to re-home all of them for personal reasons. A few years ago I started getting boxies again, and they were mostly juveniles, but now they're starting to mate and that's why I changed the license.
If you want a license to rescue and rehabilitate, that's different. You'd have to ask Julie M. about that one. I think it's a lot harder to get.

ahhh ok. I'm going to start with the just "possess" for now. I know the breeding and selling is completely different, that will come with time. I've looked at the DEC website a bunch of times so I'm becoming familiar with the different licenses. I just want the spring to come so I can start building....For now I will get in touch with some rescues or what not....

Status
Not open for further replies.