Edible Plants that can survive a canadian winter?

Tyler797

Hey everyone. I built my greek tortoise a 6' by 6' enclosure so that I can put him outside on our nice summer days.

I am wondering if anyone has any idea's of tortoise safe plants that would live through a Canadian winter (-30c).

I have planted some things like ice plant, creeping jenny, lavender, bell flower, and some nasturtium. It is also filled with dandelions and clover. The tortoise doesn't really eat anything in there. A few nibbles here and there, but I try to keep things that are fully safe just in case. Some of this stuff isn't going to live through our winters, but if there is any way I can avoid having to re-do it each spring that would be awesome.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170713_124023.jpg
    20170713_124023.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I hate to say I doubt it but indoor growing is very possible. Just get some good grow lights, some sort of greenhouse cover for humidity and grow away in posts. When they are big enough transplant to his indoor enclosure and replant in your pots.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
take cuttings every fall from the plants and raise them inside over winter and replant in the spring. Might work out for you with right lighting etc. however, it might also be cheaper to replant.
Also, seeing he's really not eating them, grow some grocery type greens that you can start from seeds. Start them late winter inside and transplant them in the spring to the outside.

AmberD

Ontario
I am also from Canada, I have a hibiscus that I leave outside during the summer and bring in during the winter. When looking for plants, look to see if it says perennial or annual. Perennials will come back up, annuals are usually only good for the one summer/season. Hostas are a good perennial and are very hardy, will provide lots of shade/hiding spot for your tort and is ok if they take a nibble. You can look on The Tortoise Table for suitable plants as well. Good luck!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Your nasturium should reseed itself and come back next year when things warm up.

I'm sad to hear your tortoise doesn't care for it, though. Mine loves it!