Elongated tortoise humidity?

gabriel77711

Location (City and/or State)
Round lake park
Hi everyone I am new here and a new tortoise owner, every time Ive had a question regarding my Elongated tortoise, (bubble kitty is the name my 3 year old gave it) I seem to come across this site, so I figured I might as well and join the community. So after doing lots of research to try and understand my species of tortoise better, I know it likes shady, damp and high humidity places, so as of right now I spray down half of the enlosure 2 -3 times a day to provide micro climates and allow the tortoise to seek more moist or dry land. I have a custom built tortoise table 3’x2’, my tortoise is still a baby only 2in in shell length, so my question is alot of the times I hear and see people comparing Elongateds to redfoota in there similarity to enviorments and humidity levels, I see lots of people ise a fogger to help with this, would it be ok if I used a fogger for an elongated?? Humidity levels are around 40% on the damp/hot side and 15% on the dry/cool side along with tempetures being high 80s to low 90s on the hot side and mid 70s on the cool side

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hi! I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question... I keep Russian tortoises. I hope you find your answer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. GREAT species!

You will never be able to maintain the correct conditions in an open topped enclosure for this species. Not unless the whole room is heated and humidified. Foggers and humidifiers are equivalent to sticking your finger in a hole in the dam. Fix the problem, loss of warm humid air out the open top, and you won't need a fogger. You need a large closed chamber. Like these: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/

In the mean time, daily soaks and the misting you are doing will help keep the baby alive and healthy.

@MichaelaW is up to date on proper housing and care for this genus and she can give you the details better than I could.

Huckleberry

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome. GREAT species!

You will never be able to maintain the correct conditions in an open topped enclosure for this species. Not unless the whole room is heated and humidified. Foggers and humidifiers are equivalent to sticking your finger in a hole in the dam. Fix the problem, loss of warm humid air out the open top, and you won't need a fogger. You need a large closed chamber. Like these: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-stack-of-animal-plastics-closed-chambers.165626/

In the mean time, daily soaks and the misting you are doing will help keep the baby alive and healthy.

@MichaelaW is up to date on proper housing and care for this genus and she can give you the details better than I could.

I agree with Tom. Closed chamber is best with daily soaking. I wonder if you could construct a lid for the tortoise table as a stop gap?