Enclosure floor suggestions needed

BP12

5 Year Member
I need some advise/suggestions on the weather or not to remove the sand from the enclosure.
The sand was put there by the original owners as a beach bar area. it is clean beach sand, it seems to pack very well and the Lizards love it.
Thank you!

BP12

5 Year Member
under the 2" layer of sand is hard packed clay dirt.

Tortoise Compound 4.jpg Tortoise Compound 5.jpg Tortoise Compound 6.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It would be a big job, but if it were my area, I'd take a shovel (or small roto tiller) and till all the sand into the hard clay underneath. Then I'd add a layer of regular top soil and plant grass seeds and weed seeds.

BP12

5 Year Member
That is a great idea Yvonne, better than dumping all the sand. love that suggestion, thanks!

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
That is going to be neat once all is said and done - What's going to be living in there?

BP12

5 Year Member
LaDukePhoto, I am inheriting six of my mother’s Desert Tortoises; don’t know sex or species yet.

I will save that for another thread once I get them.

Rue

Canada
I think you could top dress it too...add soil and peat moss...work it all in together...

BP12

5 Year Member
would there be a problem with rolling sod on top of the sand instead of growing from seed?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would have to water it and let it sit for quite a while to make sure all the pesticides, etc. that the sod company added would be washed out. And some sod has plastic netting in it. You don't want that because eventually that netting works its way up to the top and your tortoise might get his neck or a leg twisted up in it. I think the hybrid bermuda doesn't have the netting, but it has been my experience that the tortoises don't find the hybrid bermuda to be very tasty. Mine eat all around that section, leaving the bermuda alone.

BP12

5 Year Member
You would have to water it and let it sit for quite a while to make sure all the pesticides, etc. that the sod company added would be washed out. And some sod has plastic netting in it. You don't want that because eventually that netting works its way up to the top and your tortoise might get his neck or a leg twisted up in it. I think the hybrid bermuda doesn't have the netting, but it has been my experience that the tortoises don't find the hybrid bermuda to be very tasty. Mine eat all around that section, leaving the bermuda alone.
Good point Yvonne..thank you.

BP12

5 Year Member
I guess I'm mixing mulch and planting grass this weekend.