Enclosure Pre-Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Antigua West Indies
I was going to post this in the enclosure forum but since it is a red-foot enclosure with out the bright lights I thought I better post it here.
I am probably going to add a thin layer of top soil and put the moss over top..
The heat lamp should be near to the hide correct?
Then the food should be in warm to cool and I know the water should be in the warm but I have no more room!! :( I think my accessories are too big.. (I am getting a hatchling)...
However I am going to set it up as is and see when I get him/her and then go from there it is hard to gage when I dont' have him yet.
Also it might end up being older than 3 months in the end...

I set it up today without substrate as is in pics and the temps got up nice and high obviously the humidity stayed at around 50% but since it is dry as a bone and all just plastic I think as soon as I get it ready it should go up nicely...

I'm just suprised that all the space is already kind of gone.. :( 50 Gallon rubbermaid.. Anyway again I'm sure I can get different accessories to suit..

http://images50.fotki.com/v1529/photos/6/1368236/7763726/IMG_4643-vi.jpg

http://images50.fotki.com/v1529/photos/6/1368236/7763726/IMG_4641-vi.jpg

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
In my opinion you should have at least two hides (preferably more)--one warmer and one cooler. I ran into the same issue as you did with space. I built a huge table planning to use half, and ended up needing all the space. Torts really thrive in the more space you can give them.

Is that round stone for food? What about breaking a 12x12 slate tile in two, and placing it on an edge? Then, put a plant in the middle to break up the line of sight. The plant can act as a hide near the food. What are you doing for a water dish? Sorry if I can't tell what is what. I see a stone and a plate. Can you explain a little more what you plan to do? Remember in the rain forest there is a lot of ground cover. What do you plan to do for plants, etc? Fake is fine. What kind of light is that? What are you doing for heat? The substrate will help as you can fill it in past the corners so it will actually have more floor space than it appears now. Is the enclosure staying in the tub? How are the drafts at that level? What is your temperature gradient? Sorry to be so nosy! Looks great so far. I like your choice of tub. I need to buy one like that soon so my tort can travel to be watched when we go on trips.

Congrats on getting a tort!

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Hi Kate,
Well it is a black light it gives off the heat, the flower dish you see I got it because the petal part will sit at land level and then it dips down and it is rough like a sand paper feel for grip.. that will be for the water..
The round stepping stone yes I was thinking for food. I was going to do plants right away but then was told about ferts, so I am going to probably go with fake until I can raise some of my own.
The room is heated there are no areas to create drafts it is a steady tempratured room.
On one end you see I have the lid of another container when I put it over properly it is a darker end, I want to get a proper hide anyway I like the log ones i've seen.. :)
I can see myself going to the store and coming home with a ton of goodies this is what I got out to get this weekend pre tortoise so I am open to suggestions.. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks for the clarification! Sounds like some great plans. The water dish sounds cool if it isn't slippery. I'm all for the fake plants and log. I think if you use the wall space for flat stuff and plants in the middle you can utilize the space better. A slate tile costs me $2 and can be put up right against a wall to minimize the amount of food that gets on the substrate even more. The more hides the better. Nice choice with the black light for the redfoot. I was trying to figure out why it looked funny! Will the room just have the ambient light then? We'd love to see more pictures as you add things in. With a moist substrate you probably want to make it all up, let it dry if necessary, and measure the temperatures and humidity over the course of a few days, different times of the day. That's my tip. It's much easier to do that sort of stuff before you get the tort. Once you have the tort you sill be busy watching over it. Best wishes.

One more thing: Michael's has an awesome fake plant selection. I got the bush type ones so I didn't have to cut any stems off. I stuck them right into the substrate. If you sign up for their e-mail list online I think they are running a 50% off one item coupon now. Also look in newspaper Sunday ads (although I haven't seen one for the last two weeks where I live for them) as they do 40% off one item, or 30% off on plants. I'm a shopaholic...

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Shelli, hi. If you put a golf ball or pingpong ball in the enclosure (or something about that size) that is close to the size of your tort if it was cut in half (the ball not the tort LOL). Oh and 50 gal means from top to bottom and side to side. At Christmas time Wal-mart has those Rubbermade type Christmas Tree totes (much bigger) that are great for Torts. They have really gone up in price here now about 45.00 Just a thought for later. Wal-mart also carries a log hide I am now using it is made of Alfalfa and honey I spritz mine but if gotten really, really wet like sprinklers or rain it will collaps. I also have one that I glued a sponge to and keep it wet with no problems. They are about $3-4.00. If you go to Petco or PetSmart they have organic wheat grass and cat nip which will work for planting now and Cat nip is usually not eaten by torts but won't hurt him if he does. Silk plants will also work but never smell as sweet :) . I went to Home Depot and got a small square tile for my hatchlings to eat off of. I think its a 4x4 it was about $0.59 The water bowl sounds good as it is shallow, level with the ground and has a good grip.
Looks like you are off to a good start. Once you get your little one you will be tweaking things to suit both you and your little tort. I take it you have looked at
www.Redfoots.com and www.turtletary.com for more suggestions regarding food and enclosures. Terry Kilgore really has a way with RFs and Has raised hatchlings to beaurtiful smooth adults with his methods listed on those sites.
Keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing your new addition soon. :D

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Both you guys made an excellent point if I put the food to the side on a slate it will make a big difference for open area..

Robyn I have been to the sites I have all the food ingredients I need written in order of calcium :) Also by age which is really useful.
I did laugh when you said about the pingpong because that is soo small, I am trying to be realistic but it still made me laugh.
Definately going to be looking out for something bigger I have seen I think Terreo the lady that posts here's set up with all the lovely plants that would be my goal..
I think I may have seen those hideys you are talking about I will have to have a look.

Edited to add.. Tuesday afternoon I am going to set it up with my moss and everything and torti should be coming home Friday lunchtime fingers crossed xxxxxx
Am going to go and look for a tile tomo., plants etc.. We dont' have any big chain pet stores near us for the real plants I am going to have to look into what I am doing for getting them started. There is a Petsmart a few towns away I could call them and see if they have anything, I need to get a window box going ideally.
Actually I just thought of the perfect spot for one... hmmmmm

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hides can be anything really. I always liked flowerpots cut in half, this makes a half log pretty much without spending money, Redfooted tortoises kind of grow fast so buying logs for the baby then having to buy more when they are older is just not fun. You can also build hides out of wood, plastics, slate.. you name it its been done..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pet stores have very limited fake plant selection, and very expensive. I have not seen more than a few really small and really expensive plants there (still not organic from what I saw by the way). I'd go to craft stores for half the price (plus they have sales and coupons). For real plants you want organic, or let them sit to leech out the pesticides for 6 months or so. Those are at nurseries and home improvement stores. What a Redfoot anything natural like wood is good for hides, or plastic.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Well I bought some planters my husband broke the tile cutter on the one cutting it in half so now the tile I bought for food is bigger than I wanted it.. :( (I'm frustrated about the tile, but I'll get over it)
I have two planter halves and a full size one in there.
The flowers have no metal parts at all they are plastic with no wire and silk.
The jingle ball is representing the tortoise.. :)
Better?
http://images51.fotki.com/v1545/photos/6/1368236/7763726/IMG_4646-vi.jpg

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
60 miles south of Chicago
I must have the ONLY redfoot hatchling on the planet that does NOT use his hide.
He'd much rather burrow himself in the sphagnum moss in his enclosure.
I put sphagnum moss throughout almost all of his enclosure, minus one spot where I put a piece of ceramic tile, and after that tile, I have two flower pot dishes for water dishes (until his new water bowl arrives).
I put the tile there because where the dishes are, they are not sitting on/in any moss and due to the level of the tile, his dishes sit lower making it easier for him to get into his water dishes on his own.
Also, I was hoping he'd use the tile to "drop off" any sphagnum moss that might be on him BEFORE entering his water bowl, but yeah, that didn't work out. hahahaha.
He just drags the moss everywhere with him.

See, I'm obsessive about water. Stagger has 3 water bowls available for him in his enclosure.
Two clay ones after the tile, and I took a gladware lid and put water in it and that sits ON the tile. I also have his food dish ON the tile.
I might move his food dish, though, to a warmer spot.

But, I've only seen him use his hide once. The rest of the time he burrows himself in his moss.
And his hide is facing away from the light, too.

It's funny, last night I think it was, I went to mist his enclosure before going to bed, and I could NOT find him.
And I started misting, and I'm calling him, "Stagger, where are you?"
And I here him do his clicky-squeak noise, but I still couldn't find him.
So, I'd call him again, "Stagger??" And he'd make that noise again.
I did this about 3-4 times before I finally dug him up, but it was SOOO cute because it was like he was answering me when I was calling him.

AW.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Owww he sounds soo cute!
I tried to make a different tile smaller just now and smashed it into a million pieces.. waaaaa.
I'm going to walk down to the shops and see if they may have a tile cutter before I smash them all into little bits...
Oh and I forgot to put my rocks in there...

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Well, I have about a million smaller cuts of tile around here, I wonder if ceramic tile is shippable?
If so, and you aren't having any luck cutting some, let me know, I can ship you a piece for just the price of shipping.:D

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Chewbecca, I am so inpressed. I have wondered so much about wether a tort will respond to any particular noise and thought I would really sound so weird to ask. My guys seem to hear when I have food, but I never really set it up to have food when I call them. Ummm something to ponder.....
Thanks Na

Oh yes,also with regard to plants, when I set up my newest little 3 inch Rf I went outside to get some greens, clover and such and grabbed a big hunk of clover to place in the tub. I thought I would be replacing all of it, but one big one took root and is growing. So much for Michaels sale!!! Try real, it's free!
Na

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Thanks Chewbacca, I found a really nice piece of flat granite in the yard so I chucked the tile so all things are meant to be because it looks really amazing (well not that amazing.. lol) but much nicer...
I need to get mine so I can think of a name..
I'm thinking Geraldine which can be Gerry for short and if it ends up being a boy Gerald.. haha..
Ok I can get on with my life now I have a food station sorted out...

Ok I just added another water dish removed a hide, will add rocks and flowers to make a little hide tonight when I take it back inside.
http://images51.fotki.com/v1546/photos/6/1368236/7763726/IMG_4653-vi.jpg
Tomorrow when I get home from work I am going to set it up properly and start monitoring the moisture heat and everything..

Chewbecca

5 Year Member
Thanks, Nay!
I was AMAZED that he was making his little clicking-squeaky noise whenever I called him.
I KNEW he was a smart fella!

Shelli-
That enclosure looks AMAZING.
That will be PLENTY to make your little hatchling happy.

I MUST go get some flower pots like that.
That way maybe Stagger won't bury himself so much into his moss.

Regarding plants: My thing with live plants (and a hatchling) is, if you start planting live, edible plants, how are you going to be able to monitor how much your tort is eating?
I'm sure this is just a personal concern, but it's why I haven't planted live yet for my hatchling.
I even weigh Staggers daily meals, though, he DOES seem to monitor himself diet-wise pretty well.

oooh, I'm so excited for you to get your new RF hatchling!
Do you already have one picked out? Or did I miss this in a post in the thread?

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
I'm not planting live because I havn't raised any organic plants yet.
I dont' really have the luxury of shopping around breeders or shopping around stores for my red-foot i'm in Ontario Canada they are very expensive and hard to find, on kijiji there's a couple but they have pretty severe pyramiding or the price is like $700 for a younger one, hatchlings run around $350-$400.. so i'm going to be seeing my little guy when I go to pick him up on Friday for the first time.. I do know what to look for I have seen torts from the same breeder before and have been tempted many times but didn't have the funds plus I hadn't done any research..
I am just hoping they are not all gone by the time I get there.... Imagine that!!! :(
They do know I want one and didnt 'want a deposit but still...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I was able to break two slate tiles with the natural grain on a curb within an inch of how I wanted them. No splinters. I sanded the rough edges just in case.

My tort also doesn't like hides. I gave up and he now has three fake plants and a hay pile in addition to the log I kept in there since he climbs it. One of the things with torts is you have to adapt their enclosure to suit them. I learned this firsthand and am still working on it.

My tort recognizes my voice and/or face because when I approach and talk to him he looks up at me and sticks his neck out. At least he knows I bring food...

With them eating live plants, with a large enclosure and exercise it should be ok. Especially if you keep an eye on it. Sometimes the plants that are put in there for decoration but are edible may not be the first food choice for the tort. There are differences too between safe plants and plants that a tort likes for food. I have heard of some torts barely munching on the enclosure plants, and some devouring them so that the owners have to replace them as they are literally eaten to death. Depends on the plant! If you need something that is good ground cover than get something that is safe but not especially tasty. If it's there to be eaten you may want to get flowers and such.

Love how the enclosure is going so far! Some suggestions I have are to not put things in every corner. The tort will try to climb around them to walk the perimeter and corners are more hazardous. Use some of the side walls, and especially, the middle. You want to block the line of sight across the enclosure. Interesting choice of fake plants. :) I found some awesome fake bushes at Michael's that my tort loves to hide under and climb on.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
haha,, yeah Ummm after I got those I saw some ummm more normal fake plants in peoples enclosures!! My poor tortoise is going to be embarassed of it's plants.. I will play around with the set up some more when I get home from work..
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.