Encroachment on Wildlife Habitats has Become a Growing Issue

Busy Paw Life_Texas

Location (City and/or State)
Colleyville, Texas
Here in DFW, Texas, it’s well known that many companies have relocated here, and others continue to move due to favorable tax laws compared to California. Large corporations are building on vast expanses of land, and they often offer relocation reimbursement to employees, many of whom purchase large plots of land to build homes. As a result, land in the mid-cities has become scarce. This shift started affecting the wildlife, with coyotes initially being "tagged" (shot), but soon, many other animals found themselves pushed into residential areas, including my own half-acre yard.

The turtles, in particular, are not leaving because they have no better place to go. They seem to feel safer in our yards than in areas being developed. In my yard, for example, I have three huskies, but they stay indoors unless I take them outside for supervised playtime three times a day. This has turned my yard into a haven for wildlife—squirrels, birds, cats, and now turtles spend most of the day there. It’s fascinating to observe how the turtles, once solitary, have adapted and appear to be learning to live closer together to survive, just as we’ve seen with other wildlife across the globe that has been forced to shift its behavior.

The increasing encroachment on wildlife habitats has become a growing issue, and we are now seeing its effects right in our own backyards. Turtles, like other displaced creatures, are learning to adapt to the spaces available to them, but we owe them some responsibility in this process. As humans continue to expand into these animals' natural habitats, we are actively shaping the environments that were once theirs.

I feel a sense of obligation to protect these animals as they seek refuge in my yard. They, like many other creatures, are adjusting to the rapidly changing world around them, and it’s a reminder of how much impact we have on the natural world. It’s no longer just about the convenience of land for us to build on, but also about understanding the consequences for the wildlife that once roamed these areas freely. In my own small way, by creating a space where turtles and other wildlife can feel safe, I’m contributing to their survival, and I believe we owe it to them to be more mindful of the spaces we share.